Building new PC... and I can't access BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsionStorm

Solid State Member
First of all, thank you to any replies I get. I am very very frustrated at this point, and I appreciate all the help I can get.

I am building a new PC. When I start up the computer, it scans the GPU, then will go to the screen with the Mobo logo/CPU/RAM count. At this screen, it reads the CPU. It then counts the RAM. Once it's completed the RAM count, it resets, and begins this same process all over again. This continues over and over again.

If I attempt to enter BIOS by pressing the Delete key, the RAM count immediately halts, the computer resets, and begins the cycle again. Similarly, if I press *any* button at all, it does the same thing.

After testing all components (except for the CPU) in a friend's computer, I originally believed it was a defective motherboard. I recieved a replacement today, and after hooking everything up, came across the same exact problem.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: DFI LanParty 875P-T Socket 775
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 640 3.2Ghz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Socket 775 w/ HyperThreading
RAM: Corsair XMS TWINX 2048MB PC4000 500MHz (2 x1024)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 2 (soon to be replaced)
Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150

The GPU definitely works, as I'm currently using it to type this message. :) The RAM works blazingly fast in my friend's computer. However I haven't found anyone with a Socket 775 motherboard to try the CPU on. I can't really imagine it's defective though, if the computer is even getting as far as it is.

But at this point, I really have no idea, and I'm very frustrated. I would value any and all opinions.

Thank you for your help. :)

If it's halting after checking RAM then I would think that it's having compatibility problems. Similarly I've read reviews with people having problems with the BIOS on the DFI LanParty boards. Some people solved them by updating the BIOS and some slots/connectors tend to fail or not work at all.

You'll have to get a floppy and go to DFI's site on another computer, put the update on the floppy. Flash the BIOS on your computer and update from there.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the computer reads the floppy drive when it goes through this loop. I'll double-check tonight, but I had a friend suggest the same thing earlier and I don't believe it was possible.

I've also tried different RAM in the computer (though I don't remember what brand/speed) and I ran into the same problems. Is there any sort of RAM/Mobo compatibility list I can look at to see if it's a hardware conflict?

At this point I'm thinking about just trying a different motherboard alltogether.

Unattach everything but CPU, RAM and Video card. Then try booting, if it stll happens then remove RAM.

You should get RAM Beeps at this point.

If you don't, take out the video card, if you still don't get beeps its probably a Bad Proccessor.

Now, put just one stick in, until, you find the bad stick, You may also need to clear CMOS because I know the with the DFI Board you may need to change the RAM Voltage to proper value in CMOS.

But we can't do that until we can get into CMOS.

I've tried the RAM in slots 1 and 3, 1 and 2, and each stick in slot one. I still get the same issues.

I *think* I reset the CMOS properly (You move the jumper for 30 seconds and then put it back, correct?).

If it happens for both sticks, then its either bad RAM or you bought the improper voltage for your motherboard..

Its different for each motherboard concerning jumpers but, I usally just take out the battery for 3-5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom