changing registered name in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
I have a new laptop that my boss purchased for work use. I set it up and of course, registered Windows in his name and several programs wer done the same way.
He has since purchased another laptop (better than this Dell) and plans to use it instead. So now, I'm using the Dell that is registered in my his name.

I know how to change the name and company that Windows is registered to in the registry and I've been able to find a few programs and change those as well. My questions is about the way the user accounts work.
After I changed the registry info, I then created a new admin user account and deleted the one I had created for my boss. Only thing is when I log into windows, it still has his name as the account name, even though the password for the new admin account will work when his name is left in the username box. I can either leave his name or replace it with the username for the new account...either works.

I also noticed that in the documents and settings folder, there was not a folder created for the new account...it's using the default one with his name on it.

How can I (short of reloading) have the default login name be something other than his name and how can I get a new documents and settings folder that is something I choose (since you can't simply rename the old folder)?

Honestly that didn't make sense to me.

Did you create a new account ?
Did you rename the old account ?
Did you erase the old account ?
What did you do in the registry ?!
It doesn't matter who the OS or Apps are registered to when you use the machine.

Yeah, I was in a hurry and wasn't making much sense. Sorry.

I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion to my information.

I created a new admin account for me.

I deleted the old user account with the other persons info.

When I boot the machine, the other guys name is still showing in the "log on to Windows" box in the username blank. The new password works there, so it's logging into the correct account, but for some reason the original owners name is still showing up there.

Also, where would I go to change the registered name for Office 2003?

I'm just trying to get my name into as many places on the machine as possible without reloading windows.

office 2k3, word | tools | options, user info tab

windows registered user - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\registeredowner

logon name - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\defaultusername

OK, these do what I needed, but is there anything that can be done about the documents and settings folder?

In the Documents and Settings folder it has the Administrator, All Users and a folder for the old user. Can this be changed somehow? I know it's a system folder, so do I need to try creating a new account and deleting this one?
I did that once, but it still named the folder for the old user.

login as another admin user, right click my computer, click properties, click advanced tab, click settings under user profiles. delete that users profile (this is the folder under docs & settings)

create a new user with your new name. the default profile will be copied at first logon.

I did this, but when I log back in, the folder with the old users name is still there, and it still uses his name as the default login name.

I may just have to reload and start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom