What happens when a PSU dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I know the question probably sounds stupid...

I have a crummy 350 watt PSU in my system and I think it'sstarting to die. What typically happens when a PSU dies? Does it just die and you replace it or can it destroy some of your hardware?

Also, I buy from New Egg, if anyone has any suggestions on a good PSU for $50 or under feel free to link, I'm clueless about what a GOOD PSU actually is...

Thanks all!

The easiest way to tell if your PSU is near death is if you have LED's and they start to dim or if your fans are running at lower RPM's then they did when you first got them etc...

Typically when a PSU does die you just lose the ability to turn on your computer, I would say that there isn't a possibility of damage to other hardware but...

Just yesterday my 1-year old stock PSU wen't on the fritz so I went and got it replaced only to find out that it had taken my motherboard with it. So I'm having to order a new one and after I get it installed I'm hoping I don't find that my CPU, ram, video card, or anything else has died too.

Yuck, that stinks, Ropponmatsu!

My LEDs aren't dimming but the fan is dying inside the PSU and it seems like under a heavy load maybe once or twice in the past couple months that my PC rebooted. Guessing it's my cheapo PSU. I removed a CDRW drive as well as disconnected a floppy just to take some strain off the PSU until I replace it.

I was hoping to hear that they just DIE and don't destroy hardware, now I better get on the ball and replace this thing!!

Again, any suggestions on a good PSU for around $50 from New Egg, please post! Thanks

Just curious, but are the CompUSA PSU's any good? I have one in my second PC that's been going strong for 2+ years. I see a 500 watt PSU that's $80 but has two $30 rebates right now so only $20.

In the meantime I'll go look up some Antec PSU's, thanks.

Actually, I was surprised at the decent hardware that CompUSA carries, in some respects it's better than BestBuy so I wouldn't be too worried.

a psu death can be quite unpredictable. I have had a generic psu take down my Mobo and GFX card but i have had other psu's die and nothing is harmed. In my opinion you should try to replace the psu before it takes the cake so there is no chance of it taking somthing with it into the grave.

try removing dust from the inside of the PSU. but if you open it up, be real careful. them capacitors can store lots of charge even if it's been unplugged.
I'd recommend using a can of compressed air on it.

A GOOD PSU is over 120 bucks. Usually

Well it depends on your use. If you are making a basic system for a friend - a 400 watt Antec or Thermaltake will do. Same with a gaming system - around 450 watts is good.

You only need to buy a $120 psu if you are running raid arrays, sli, overclocked processor, cold cathodes, heaps of fans and pci cards. Then an expensive psu is in order. However you can still get good Antec and Thermaltake PSU's for $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom