memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpham303

Solid State Member
before i get started just know that i am new to computers when it comes to upgrading computers and the stuff with settings. ok i got one of those cheap black friday pc's and upgraded the memory. the specs are celeron 340 with 533fsb. i went and bought the value ram from corsair at 512x2 at pc3200 ddr 400. now my question is how can i tell if my system is running to its full potential? i searched a lil but the timing and voltage stuff is confusing. when i go into the bios it says that the fsb is 533 and system memory speed is 333 but also says that its ddr400 at the bottom in memory channel. isnt it suppose to run at 400mhz? i figure it has to do with the fsb but i dunno..i dun even know wat that is. and when i run memtest86+ it says fsb 133, ram 166 ddr332 cas 25337. does that sound right?

Well , you're running a basement bargain PC. 333 may be the top speed of the mobo's memory interface.

Basically all you'll be able to do in the BIOS is look at the settings, as pre-builts ahve locked BIOS.

If you've dropped a gig of RAM in it, it's probably giving you its best right now. If you want better, you'll have to replace your CPU and add a grphics card (if the mobo have a slot for it).

well i looked it up and it supports ddr 400. well im not looking to spend more as i only use it to surf the net and dl things here and there. i dun game at all on pc's so its not a big concern. i mean the extra ram added helped alot but just wanted to know if all is right. just wanted to know why its says ddr400 but runs at 333mhz and why memtest has those other numbers. i only have those two sticks runnign dual channel( cuz it says so ) and would it even matter if its not running at 400mhz? is it that big of a diff?

Not if you're not gaming. Just surfing and downloading stuff won't make a difference with it.

those celerons usually only support PC2700 ram anyway. The thing is that your motherboard might support PC3200 ram, but the processor only supports 333mhz fsb? I'm guessing... Intels are definately not my forte.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom