8x display card plugged to 2x agp slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

access denied

Baseband Member
i have a AGP slot which is support 2 x only.

i want to upgrade my display card. 8x 128mb speed.

will it crash if i plugged it to 2x agp slot?

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it will (unless the PSU ain't up to it).

The card will only be able to run a x2 speed, though.

I think you can mix up AGP4x and AGP8x, but AGP2x and lower run at a lower voltage. I think AGP2x and lower are 3v and AGP4x and higher 1.5v. Can somebody confirm?

well they say its 2x/4x compatible then its 4x/8x is compatible so by the transitive property it would be 2x/8x compatible :confused:

You have to check the voltages. AGP slots run at 0.8V, 1.5V, or 3.3V. You can have an AGP slot be compatible with any combination of those voltages. AGP 1x and most 2x runs at 3.3V, AGP 4x at 1.5V, and AGP 8x at 0.8V.

You need your slot to supply 0.8V, if it doesn't it won't work. If you have a universal AGP 3.0 slot then it will run all 3. If you know your's is a AGP 1x/2x, then it only supplies 3.3v and, but not necessarily, 1.5v which means it won't work. You need to consult your MB manual to see the specs on your AGP slot.

wont work

2x and 4 x work with each other , 4x and 8x work but 2x and 8x dont work there is a voltage difference. Quite why you would want to use an 8x card in a 2x slot I'm not sure , you would see no performance increase a system old enough to have a 2x slot wouldnt be able to make use of an 8x 128mb card. A 2x slot would rob the system of all its bandwidth to the new card and couldnt make use of its performance properly. Bear in mind that a 2x board probably doesnt even use DDR ram either ...... its upgrade time i think !

Re: wont work

fourthletter said:
2x and 4 x work with each other , 4x and 8x work but 2x and 8x dont work there is a voltage difference. Quite why you would want to use an 8x card in a 2x slot I'm not sure , you would see no performance increase a system old enough to have a 2x slot wouldnt be able to make use of an 8x 128mb card. A 2x slot would rob the system of all its bandwidth to the new card and couldnt make use of its performance properly. Bear in mind that a 2x board probably doesnt even use DDR ram either ...... its upgrade time i think !

the computer i using is not mine... it's my dad computer.well... he dont like me change any part of computer. because my brother ruin one computer before, because he install a second hand power supply, then boom !!! T.T

it's time to saving money and build my own computer i think..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom