Need help with upgrade graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot

Baseband Member
First post.

I am shoppin around for advice, so please forgive me. I am lookin for an upgrade to my current video card, in hopes of getting a little more power out of gaming until I can upgrade my PC.

At current, I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.0, 512 rdram, Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 200 64mb. I 'think' this is some of my mobo-

Dell Part Number: 8G894
This Dell Dimension 8200 Pentium 4 Socket 478 motherboard features:

1 - AGP connector (4X/2X)
4 - PCI connectors
2 - USB connectors
Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.5GHz and up
4 - Memory slots (PC800 non-ECC RDRAM)
25-pin Parallel Port Connector
9-pin Serial Port Connector
2 - IDE Connectors

and I believe this link will show my current video card, scroll down to second card.

http://www.guru3d.com/review/titanium200/

The rdram would be a nice way to upgrade, but is hard to come by, and expensive! So, am lookin to upgrade my card, but not very knowledgable about them. Problems stem from congested areas on online games such as WoW city zones, and some single player games such as Morrowind, which 'freezes' up a lot.

Is there another card that will help with this to any degree?

I hope to keep this machine for a few more months, and would like to up the gameplay friendliness a bit if possible. I just don't know which card will fit.

You could get a 6800gs which either is or comes in an AGP version. It should be a very good card. Any card with AGP will fit. Since your only going to be using this computer for a couple more months you might want to wait and buy a mobo with PCIe and PCIe graphics card. Unless you wanted to buy an AGP mobo then and use the upgraded card from your current computer.

what you want is the 6600GT 128mb. You do not want a regualr 6600 ANYTHINGmb, you don't want a 6600GT 256mb either. You simply want the 6600GT 128. The 256 does not improve performance, and in a few cases, lowers performance. The graphics core isn't powerful enough to utilize all that memory.

Ryan

I'm gonna leave this to the experts.

All I'll say is the 6600GT is the best/cheapest card to get right now, and has been/will be for a while. If the 4x/8x - 2x/4x aren't compatible, I'm sure you can find a 2x/4x 6600.

Scoot said:
Will that 4x/8x agp card, work in my 2x/4x slot on my mobo?

Are agp cards backward compatable? Or am I limited to just a 2x/4x 128 card?

Yes, it will run at 4x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom