Reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanr

Beta member
How do you reformat? Nothing happens when I(really my gf, but ill say I because its easier) put format c: in run command. I have done this before, but don't remember how its done. How do you get to dos mode? I remember I did something with a non-partition disc yada yada :p when I last reformatted.

If you want to format the harddrive your using you must do it from a bootable disk.

If you want to format a drive thats slaved you can do it much easier from disk managment.

First you need to format a boot disk (has to be floppy) and then boot from the disk so your not in windows and accessing the HD. Then you can format C:,

Another option that was already mentioned is if you have two HD's, you can switch between them as slave and master and format the slave from the master.

Also, I haven't tried it but is it possible to boot and format from a USB drive in some form or manner?

I have used a bootable CD to reformat but I don't remember exactly how. So it would be hard for me to tell her how without actually knowing and her getting pissed aftering trying so many things :p

Cant you use the windows xp cd to boot then when you choose install doesnt it have the option to format the drive anyway? Just to be safe Id get a 98 floppy boot disk put it in when you turn on your comp and it`ll go into dos and type format c: then when its done boot up and in your BIOS choose your cd rom to boot up before your hard drive so you can install xp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom