Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
For several years I have been using Sygate Firewall with which I have been delighted.

However I understand that Sygate has been absobed by Symantec.

Can anyone advise me about a suitable alternative - the Symantec one comes with a/v package which I already have in Norton System Works 2006?

Well Symantec has Norton Internet Securties which has the AV, Firewall, and Anti Spam. It doesnt have all the features of Systemworks but it does have the essientials. I personally use Zone Alarm Pro which is the firewall, anti spyware, and email scanning. For an AV i use NOD32.

You are correct Sygate was taken over by Symantec and they decided to axe all Sygate products and stick with thier own.

windows xp built-in firewall works pretty good.

zone alarm makes a great firewall as well (hint: download it)

Thanks to both of you. Symantec site says they will support
Sygate for 6 months, but I cannot find anything on their site to confirm.

I have no wish to have Norton package (apparently they don't do a stand alone Firewall?) as, as I indicated, I already have Norton a/v in NSW2006 premier and there may be a conflict anyway.

The SP2 firewall is not adequate, I have had a bit of fun penetrating it with not to much difficulty.

Tried ZoneAlarm but had conflict problems with the anti-spyware
part. It is far from being intuitive as the Sygate version and, for example, does not disable automatically the SP2 firewall.

Is there a site which compares stand alone firewalls?

Well Norton does have just a Firewall if that is what you are looking for. Click me! <~~that will take to the Symantec site.

As for a site that compares them. I have found nothing recent. Most of the sites i found that compare firewalls are form 2000. A couple from 2002. Nothing more recent.

D.Arbib said:
Thanks to both of you. Symantec site says they will support
Sygate for 6 months, but I cannot find anything on their site to confirm.

I have no wish to have Norton package (apparently they don't do a stand alone Firewall?) as, as I indicated, I already have Norton a/v in NSW2006 premier and there may be a conflict anyway.

The SP2 firewall is not adequate, I have had a bit of fun penetrating it with not to much difficulty.

Tried ZoneAlarm but had conflict problems with the anti-spyware
part. It is far from being intuitive as the Sygate version and, for example, does not disable automatically the SP2 firewall.

Is there a site which compares stand alone firewalls?

How did you penetrate it?

Software Firewalls are weak. Routers are best... Routers + Software Firewall + Good AV + Firefox + 3-4 Anti Spyware programs PWN all.

I only get 2 tracking cookies every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom