Installing XP, new comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobzor

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm building a new computer and I'm really trying to cut some costs... (comp is in signature) If I only pay someone to install the motherboard (I'm 14 and though I do know quite a bit, I don't want to take a risk on breaking something) and if I use my mom's copy of windows XP, is it that hard to install it? I know you most likely need to use a ps2 keyboard to control the BIOS, but is there anything else I need to know?
Links are appreciated if you can't sum it up.

First of all you should get some experience and install the motherboard yourself. You won't break anything as long as you use common sense.
Hold mobo by the edges and be careful. Use the foam that comes with the motherboard to rest it on when install the CPU & HS&FAN.

As far as windows goes, the only version that you could use, "your moms" would be a Full Retail Version. If your mom has a brand name computer chances are she has an "OEM" version. Which will not work with any other PC, due to special activation upon original installation. (I wouldn't touch illegal copies)

You don't always need a PS/2 mouse/keyboard. I've used USB many times during installation. It depends on the mobo.

If you have any more questions.... there are plenty of people here that can help, just ask.

Original Equipment Manufacturer. The original manufacturer of a hardware component or sub-component.

OR - it's the Operating system that is sold at a lower price to a PC or System builder. This OS can only be used on (1) PC. The original PC that it was installed on. During activation your system specs. are registered along with the CD-Key with microsoft online. That's why they give you 30 days to activate an OEM OS.

You can buy OEM Windows from newegg or other online retailers, but you must buy 2 or hardware components at teh same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom