Is this a decent non-gaming system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:
That power supply sucks. get an Antec or FPS group PSU if you're on a budget.
That's funny considering it's on the short list of recommended PSU's for the NF4 Ultra-D

Well, it looks like I'll be settling for a Seagate Barracuda 80 gig HD for $68, which is $8 more than I was gonna spend on the Maxtor 160 gig HD. But considering that I'll still have my current slave drive(Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 gig) as the slave on my new system, no biggie.

just buy the computer you no gaming or ocing im petty sure hp and dell put worse psu on their computer.

efd753 said:
just buy the computer you no gaming or ocing im petty sure hp and dell put worse psu on their computer.
not exactly the kind of attitude to have when you're building on a foundation as good as the DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D. I don't know about you, but it makes absolutely no sense to spend this kind of money on components, only to skimp on the thing that supplies the necessary power to them, all the while saying "Dell and HP surely use worse on their systems"

That power supply DOES NOT suck. It is fairly uncommon, but it's a quality power supply that doesnt get much attention around here. Sunbeam is quality and a decent choice.

Only thing I would change about your system is the hard drive. Maxtor are fast, but unreliable. Western Digital or Seagate drives are only what I would buy.

Also XFX are not a good brand to buy. For a high end PC like yours, I would probolly get a 6600GT anyways as they are only slightly more expensive. For graphics cards look at brands like eVGA, Leadtek and BFG.

I wouldn't get that power supply, not because of the name, but because it's modular. Modular power supplies have an unfavorable flaw. Due to the plugs, it becomes interrupted current, which builds up resistance. Resistance can cause fluctuations in voltage, something you do not want in your PC. This will cause random restarts or BSODs.

Get an uninterrupted power supply. The others were right on my recommending, Antec, Forton, Seasonic, OCZ.

I agree with the video card also, go 6600GT. Best bang for the buck for non-gamer / may-be on day you'll find a game you like and want to play it.

For a floppy drive, consider looking into a Mitsumi 7 in 1 Floppy / Media Card reader. Since floppies aren't used that much, at least you'll have the Media Card reader as well.

yep :D although that psu that u selected won't die, but if u plan on overclocking a stable current is very VERY important (i have learn't this the hard way with my ******* Motherboard)
If that PSU is free then i would use it till i started pushing the limits with overclocking and then upgrade but as ur paying for it i would get a decent 1 first time

The PQI turbo ram is nice ram but doesn't really have the bang for buck appeal of the corsair value select which isn;t the fastest but is very high quolity and is a nice price :p

Agree with DJ-CHRIS, that is NOT a bad PSU, it actually rates fairly high, clean consistent power and powerful to boot. It's a good choice. Although the modular point is a good one, all reviews I've seen say its a very stable and clean source.

rkf76 said:
Awesome point on the video card;)

The RAM is $97, $77 after MIR. I thought the "valueselect" was the cheapy stuff, guess not as it's been recommended by a few people. Looks like it's a bit cheaper than the one I wanted too, which is a good thing as far as price goes, but why are you suggesting against the PQI?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

I don't care for the cases you posted, while the drive door is a nice look, it's just something I don't particularly care for.

There's nothing againt the ram (from my point of view), but I thought the pqi would be more expensive and there's no reason buying more expensive stuff if you're not going to oc. Also, Corsair offers lifetime warranty and I'm not sure if pqi does.
Okay the cases were just suggestions :p I just know they're built strong and look nice but that part's only my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom