7800GT, okay... I'm a bit disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
So yeah, I made a big deal and was really excited when I got my 7800GT. It beats my old 6600GT, that's for sure. But why can't I run games like FEAR and Q4 at their ABSOLOUTE HIGHEST settings without lag? I mean full resolution, max everything, vertical sync, the whole 9 yards, no compromise. I can't use soft shadows on FEAR and Q4 lags if I go above 4X antialiasing and I don't want to imagine what'll happen if I try vertical sync on FEAR and Q4.... :( Will this problem get better as Nvidia releases new drivers for this relatively new card? It just seems like if a brand new top of the line card is going to come out, it should be able to play every existing game at max specs. I know, the GTX probably can, but damnit I expect more!

you could try overclocking it.

also realise that the GT is not the absolute best card. it has 4 less pipes, and I think lower clock speeds.
the GTX will probabbly play at the highest settings, however the GT is designed to be a lower cost card with great but not as good performance.

I can play F.E.A.R. on max settings with soft shadows on my system on a pretty good resolution of like 1280x960x32 at a modest framerate of 30-60fps. Yeah you will need a GTX to be able to play them on max settings with the highest resolutions.

i have 6600 (not gt) and i play fear with 1024x768 with medium setting and i play quake4 at 1024x768 with high setting, and they run smoothly

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your issue is mainly due to your P4 3.4Ghz CPU.

I've got the same CPU and struggle with newer games with a X800XT PE.

I've now given that Card to my brother who has a AMD 4000+ CPU and the same games that My PC struggled to play... His system plays them smooth as silk.

(FEAR, BF2, CALL OF DUTY 2, Q4)

FEAR is extremely demanding, especially if you turn on soft shadows. Plus, the game needs optimization terribly. I play FEAR maxed out, 1280x960, 2x AA, with no soft shadows though, and it played smooth with an average of 50 fps.

Quake 4 needs 512MB of video RAM to play on Ultra high. Get a 7800GTX 512MB and you'll be in the game there.

The 7800GTX 256MB isn't much better than the 7800GT. It usually leads by only 10-15 fps.

If you are able to max out FEAR with 4x AA at 1024x768 or 2x AA at 1280x960, you are doing excellent.

Overclocking is out of the question as my card already runs pretty hot and I don't want another "mysterious" card frying like what happened on my 6600GT. It's a solid card, just annoying when I can't have everything to "OMFG ROXORZZ!!!!111!!1!one!" graphics level.

woot6600GT said:
ABSOLOUTE HIGHEST
The 7800GT is not the top of the line card first of all, and second FEAR and quake 4 are very demanding games. You could always try 2 512mb 7800gtx's in SLI if you want to run games on their "ABSOLOUTE HIGHEST" settings.

beedubaya said:
Quake 4 needs 512MB of video RAM to play on Ultra high. Get a 7800GTX 512MB and you'll be in the game there.
No it dosn't, there was a benchmark a while back of doom 3 on ultra quality with a 256mb 6800 ultra and a 512mb 6800 ultra, and the 512mb one actually ran 1fps slower on average.

Re: Re: 7800GT, okay... I'm a bit disappointed.

003 said:

No it dosn't, there was a benchmark a while back of doom 3 on ultra quality with a 256mb 6800 ultra and a 512mb 6800 ultra, and the 512mb one actually ran 1fps slower on average.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are different. Quake 4 has a much higher polygon count.

And yes, this is the state of PC gaming today. You need 2 7800GTX 512MB in SLI to play everything on the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST settings.

The 7800GT can play them at high enough settings to be enjoyable though and still play them smooth. To me, the soft shadows look like crap on FEAR anyways. Why does everybody make such a big deal about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom