hey if im going to restore my harddrive to its default state...

Status
Not open for further replies.

istayongrind

Beta member
hi everyone
hey if im going to restore my harddrive to its default state...and i just installed another internal harddrive to my default harddrive .. do i have to remove the other internal before reformatting my comp..?

confusing..

okay.. my comp is acting up and i wanna start everything fresh , so im gonna redo it like it was when i bought the comp. would i need to remove my new internal that i just added to it so it doesnt get erased too ? or i can just leave it there and it wont be affected...?

and another thing.. i used norton ghost to back up the c: drive.. but the problem that im having now is because of the C: drive .. i deleted a "aedebugger" key on the "regedit" and now its just giving me crazy pop up and shut downs.. if i install this backed up c: drive wouldnt i get the same problems im getting now? because i backed my computer up during this whole "debugger" disaster..so i assume whatever i deleted is still gonna be missing in the backed up c: drive no?

istayongrind said:
yeah.. i have the hp installation disk "system recovery disks" it came with the computer

restart computer. hit f10. follow the instructions. you can keep your data or select advance (recommended) and it will restore you computer to the condriotion it was in when you bought it. you can use those restore cd in a simlar fashion. this way you get to keep your programs

If you want to reformat, then copy all of your data to your other drive (the one without your os on it) and then put in your os cd and reboot. As soon as windows shuts down, start hitting the delete key(to get into BIOS). Or look on screen for something to tell you what key will enter setup. Once there, find the boot order and make sure that your CD drive is listed before all your HDs. If it isn't change it, then save and reboot. Your computer should now boot off of the OS CD. Floow the instructions onscreen, and make sure that you format the correct drive (you want to format your OS drive ONLY, NOT the one all your data is on). Once windows is installed, pop in your driver disk (while windows is running) and install everythign neseccary. For a more in depth guide, see here.

digitaloracle said:
If you want to reformat, then copy all of your data to your other drive (the one without your os on it) and then put in your os cd and reboot. As soon as windows shuts down, start hitting the delete key(to get into BIOS). Or look on screen for something to tell you what key will enter setup. Once there, find the boot order and make sure that your CD drive is listed before all your HDs. If it isn't change it, then save and reboot. Your computer should now boot off of the OS CD. Floow the instructions onscreen, and make sure that you format the correct drive (you want to format your OS drive ONLY, NOT the one all your data is on). Once windows is installed, pop in your driver disk (while windows is running) and install everythign neseccary. For a more in depth guide, see here.

A few reasons he shouldn't do this.

1.hp recovery take 21minutes to install OS, drivers and programs. reinstall with the xp cd will takes hour to get to the same stage, plus hp doesn't have a driver cd. then you would have to find those program

2. just hitting f10 will bring up system recovery.

3. he won't have to purchase extra programs like MS word and his other applications and they will already be installed.

4.he can boot with his recovery cds and use the same method and as booting into recovery

5.to be one of the guys that would wipe the hard drive clean with my xp cd and ignore those recovery options. then I played with a sony system recovery and found it to be superior method. HP and compaq has silimar recovery methods

I love fixing people computers wiith these methods. I spend 3 minutes clicking options, then I set back and wait. 20 minutes later I am done. I call them 2-3 hrs later and tell them to get their computer. it is the easiest money that I make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom