Daisy Chaining Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviction

Solid State Member
Is there any danger in daisy chaining multiple fans by splicing into the 12v leads from other existing fans? I assume not, but I really wish to not fry things.
Thanks,
joel

Should be fine, but they have splitters for that, you know. I'll send you an extra one I have for free, if you like. Send me a PM. It has pink wires and red connectors.

Anyway, the RPM will decrease more and more with each fan you add into the chain due to the reduced current. By the time you get to the third or fourth one, you might be at half the maximum RPM.

Anyway, the RPM will decrease more and more with each fan you add into the chain due to the reduced current. By the time you get to the third or fourth one, you might be at half the maximum RPM.

Actually no, it depends how you hook them up. As long as you dont run into your PSU's max wattage output adding more fans in Series will make them run slower but drain the same amount of current. Rigging the fans up in parralel will make them draw more current but the speeds stay the same. Here is a diagram: (# = Fan)

Parralel:

+ --------------------
# # #
- ---------------------

Series:

+ ---#---#---#
|
- ---------------

edit: my ascii art didnt work :( , here is a pic:

5f20_50.gif

Ah, good point. When I think about it, the splitters work in parallel. But in my experience, having an elaborate fan setup, especially with a fan controller, lowers the maximum possible speed, and I thought it was because of increased resistance from there being more cable for the current to run through. Why would that be?

it can be summed up by this:

R = V/I

R is the resistance of the object, usually measured in ohms.
V is the potential difference across the object, usually measured in volts
I is the current passing through the object, usually measured in amperes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom