"New" cpu won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
I just received an AMD XP 2600+ from a friend/clanmate, and when I went to put it in, the PC wouldn't boot.

Now, I first had/have in an XP 2000+, and everything worked fine. All I did was open PC, etc, and take off HS/fan (which took a while lol) and then put in the 2600, and thats it. I didn't clean or reapply paste (I didn't have any paste, so I just used the excess paste on the bottom copper of the heatsink) for the 2600+, so would that have anything to do with it?

I heard that maybe it won't boot b/c it doesn't have enough paste or whatever and is too hot. Are there any other ways of fixing this?

Another thing I thought of is that my BIOS needs upgraded. I have a MSI KT4V MS6712, and 1.9 bios. The newest is like 1.C, and its 3 up from what I have, but I see no mention of an 2600 anywhere, not even in BIOS before. It talks about 2500,2700, etc, but no 2600.

Soo, should I get new paste, or update bios, or what? Oh also, mobo isn't messed up b/c I put back in my 2000 to use for now. Also the 2600 looks brand new compared to the 2000 that is in now.

Any help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom