Whats the deal with the Athlon 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok. I've been out of the loop for a little while. All of the systems i've built have been non-64 systems, and i've noticed now that most of the vendors are carrying 64bit motherboards & processors, which is now officially making all non-64 systems obsolete (even though i personally love my soon to be archaic 32bit systems!).

Well, i come to ask this question... what's the deal with the Athlon 64?

I mean... i remember a year ago people were posting fears about how certain programs wouldn't work, how you'd need a 64bit version of windows, how most hardware wouldn't work properly, i'm sure alot of it was just projected fears about the new change in the upcoming wave of new processors, but how much of it is true?

I have yet to build an athlon 64 system. I'm actually thinking about building my first in the next 2 weeks, and i'm researching parts for it. I might start placing orders by tuesday for all my parts. I'm wondering though, and again i stress the fact that i've been out of the loop for a while now, are there compabitility issues with the athlon 64 systems and software? Are there any issues i should be aware of when putting a 64 system together that i'm not already aware of when i build my normal run of the mill 32bit systems? Aside from the usual things: get a 64bit processor for a 64bit board, etc.

I'd like to hear from those who have built athlon 64 systems. Does one need anything special to put one of these babies together, or is it just like building any other pc? Fill me in, please! I know the cache's are much larger, and the fsb has more than doubled since the days of the regular athlon xps.

The Athlon 64's can run 32bit and 64 bit instructions. Everything will work fine. The problems you described would only occur if it was 64 bit only.

Hmm. Interesting.

Does someone actually make a 64 bit only processor then?

yeah, those are for servers, AMD has a 64 bit server processer, and so does Intel.

Thanks everyone. You've made me feel more comfortable jumping into the amd64 universe. I can rest undisturbed now knowing i should have no problems putting together my next build.

Order is going out tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom