The Mystery Of The Beeping And Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan h

Beta member
Well, howdy guys. Yep, I am totally new around here and, although I am not a n00b to the internet etc. I am a n00b to what goes on inside that computer case down by my feet. I guess coming here and reading about this sort of stuff will give me more knowledge and save me valueable time and money.

So anyway, on with my little problem. I have had my pc for a long time however over the years it has been upgraded, more RAM, new mother board, new graphics card etc. It has had it's fair share of problems, but this year everything has been going fine. No problems to report. That was until this morning.

Woke up thsi morning to find my brother on the computer, I kicked him off and logged on to have him tell me that the computer seems to be freezing and beeping. I thought nothing of it and continued by turning the internet on, opening MSN, checking emails etc.

Then the freezing and beeping started. At first it just froze. I thought nothing of it. I had to many windows open so it was going slow. That must be the problem. So I shut everything down other than one FF window. But it continued. This time happening alot more often and now with a beeping sound coming from inside the computer itself. Just like the sound you hear when you boot your pc up.

So I ran AVG for virus's and Spybot to see if I had any nasty things running around my system. Both came back fine. Nothing bad to report. I defragmented my hard drive. That went ok other than I found I only have just over 5GB of hard drive space left. I tryed everything I could think of. Finally the amount of times it kept on freezing and beeping died down. I thought I had killed it and everything was sorted. How wrong was I. After 5 mins it had all started again. So I decided to run a little experiment.

I have now noticed that it doesn't beep everytime it freeze up. When I was on the desktop I just kept my mouse moving around the screen and I noticed that after a while it seemed to freeze for a second, and then continue working as normal, however there wasn't a beeping sound.

I continued doing this "experiment" and found that the beeping sound happens occasionally, but not as often as the computer freezing. I have also noticed that when it does beep, it freezes for a much longer period of time.

Oh, just so you know, these are specs of my PC:

Machine name: OEM-1SZOPAMR0LK
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
System Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
System Model: K7S41
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 392MB used, 1624MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

So here I am guys and gals. That is my issue and I now turn the attention to you. Can you help me? I seriously need some help with this cause if it gets more serious and my computer dies I am totally stuffed. All help, no matter how big or small is welcomed. Any advice is appreciated, but please remember, I am still a total n00b to what goes on inside my computer, but I will try my best to understand everything.

Thanks,

Jonathan H

Well Im not sure what your problem might be but you can set your computer back to an earler time,like to your last good restore point.Click Start,Help,and on the right side bottom youll see system restor just follow the instructions and it might help you out..If not let me know ill see what i can think of in the mean time.

Thanks for the quick responce. I was thinking of doing a system restore however because the beeping sound seems to be coming from inside my computer, I have a feeling it may be a hardware problem.

I'll keep the idea on the table still though, I have noticed though that as this evening has gone on the freezes and beeping has got less frequant. I will see how things go and if it continues to happen and I can't do anything to fix it I will try a system restore.

Yeah could be beeping if your processor temp reaches a certain level I no my mobo does that if the fan stops it beeps to let me no its not working. Go into your BIOS and check the settings and temp. Also check all the fans.

How would I check the settings and temperature? Please be aware I really don't know that much about computers.

And I am now exeriancing some more weird occurances. Now, it seems to bleep very very occasionally however when it does freeze it mouse seems to go totally messed up and randomly goes around the screen clicking on things, closing windows etc.

I thinking it might be a virus so I am running AVG now to see if it can pick anything up.

Anyone got any more ideas on what I can do. Also, I have checked around the computer and the fans seem to be working fine however I will take it all apart in a while and give it a clean to see if that does anything.

Any more help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom