Barton 2500+ Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i was using sisandra. i didnt know that they were bad results. well nubius we know the amd 64,s have great memory controllers and the xp,s dont. but about 3.4gb bandwidth on 2gs of memory is all you need. i myself am getting 3.6gb bandwidth which is pretty good becasue my memory is only at 446mhz. and my cpu is at 2.45ghz. my memory is rated at pc4000 2.5337 2.9-3.1volts. and i have ran my memory at ddr600mhz in a high volted system at 3.4volt. so if i wanted that speed all i would need is the ocz dimm boster. so if my cpu could run about 2.6ghz on ddr600mhz lol i would proubly be pulling 4.0GB-4.5GB bandwidth which would be killing on my system.

but about 3.4gb bandwidth on 2gs of memory is all you need.
not hardly....look at all these games like BF2 and FEAR that suck the living hell out of your bandwidth.....there is no such thing as 'all you need' IMO...there can always be more and more is better.

It's the fact of having 2gb over 1gb that helps, but as far as memory bandwidth goes, 6.5gb/sec+ helps a good deal in gaming...this is primarily why you see the higher scores in aquamark and such is because of that.

As far as your RAM is concerned...even if your RAM is capable of getting up to 300MHz, your motherboard won't handle it...the north bridge won't be able to take it without extra voltage and really good cooling.

This was on my socket A system:

DDR490 - 245MHz - 3-3-3-8-1T 2.8v, VDD1.6v @ 3716/3433-
Test 2: 5 minutes, Vdd1.7v - Merlin BIOS

3.7gb/sec memory read rate and that's with it at 245MHz as you can see.....

this is on my AMD64 using two different benches, one sandra the other everest:

DDR520 - 2.5-3-3-7-2T 3.0v @ 6033/6080 (7031mb/sec with Everest) (2.607GHz) 324x8

Of course that one is 260MHz not 245 like the other, but theres a significant difference in bandwidth. At 245MHz it reports mine at 6.5gb/sec in everest so that's basically double as to what you get on a socket A system....

No doubt when AMD goes to DDR2 with an even further optimized memory controller you'll be seeing 10gb/sec+ easily.....that'll be nice

I use super pi to guage performance (ill probably be told that this is crap form of benchmark though).
nah super Pi is used by a lot of people....it's purely determining your CPU's number crunching abilities and of course also banks off your RAM....

however if your friend has a lot of shit running in the background while you run super Pi on a super clean install with nothing running in the background that'd obviously give you an advantage.

Also try going into the task manager and setting the priority for the SuperPI process to 'realtime' I generally would gain a little bit of speed when I did that

Also try going into the task manager and setting the priority for the SuperPI process to 'realtime' I generally would gain a little bit of speed when I did that

that got me an extra second on the 1m test.

currently my windows install is crapped up full of junk, when my new 250 gb seagate comes next week ill do a fresh re install and some benchmarks.

What you do, with the pi output you search for birthdays and stuff like that in it. My birthday is in pi!!

ya thats also true the more bandwidth the better. but with my system getting 3.6gb bandwith i popped in my brothers memory to enable me 2gigs. its the same memory kit as mine so every things good to boot. so with 2gigs of memory running at 446mhz i run fear maxed out 1182/854 4xaa 8xaf soft shadows maximum detail specular light and all. i do not recieve any memory lag and this is through several levels big and small trying to make lag i do not recieve any. so this simply means that 3.6gb is enough for me, so with my cpu higher and my memory higher this would be even better. and nubius i am able to up my chipset 1.85volt. i belive itleast ddr533 would run on my system. and if not ddr 500mhz is plenty

my brothers system, amd 64 3000@ 2.8ghz 1gb ddr533 x850xt pe
he is getting 7.2gb memory read. and this is through everest
he is also getting 3gb in memory writes. with a latency of 44.2
he is getting terible memory lag in fear maxed out and also bad memory lag in bf2 with high textures. so either way if your badwidth is insanly high or not 2gigs is completly needed. i under stand bandwidth is seriously needed to a certain extent. but i belive my system with 2gigs is perfectly fine with 3.6gb bandwith.

that's a pretty odd resolution.

As for FEAR playing, that mainly be due to your graphics card lending the most of the helping hand.

and nubius i am able to up my chipset 1.85volt. i belive itleast ddr533 would run on my system. and if not ddr 500mhz is plenty
Doubt it....those nf2 chipsets really dislike getting to 250MHz with 1gb of RAM muchless 2gb....this is regardless of the RAM being rated for say 266MHz, it's specifically their north bridge that can't handle it.

You'd need to keep that NB nice and cool as well if you're overclocking the FSB and putting extra voltage through it.

so either way if your badwidth is insanly high or not 2gigs is completly needed. i under stand bandwidth is seriously needed to a certain extent. but i belive my system with 2gigs is perfectly fine with 3.6gb bandwith.
You're getting two things mixed in that are completely different....these games require the amount of RAM more than they need the bandwidth...so of course 2gb will do better in these memory hungry games over 1gb....the point is, if he also had 2gb then yours would be absolutely no match.

Also I'd be lead to believe that he's got something up with his computer since I've only got 1gb of RAM, don't get memory lag up the ass in FEAR or BF2, my CPU is running slower than his, and my card isn't as powerful...however of course I don't run it completely maxed out either. I do 2x AA, 4x AF, soft shadows off and even with those the game is still memory hungry

Nice info guys, i like. So Nubius how to i give my NB an extra jolt on my nF2 system? I have alot of cooling on my NB and idk why so i might as well put it to use right?

Nice info guys, i like. So Nubius how to i give my NB an extra jolt on my nF2 system? I have alot of cooling on my NB and idk why so i might as well put it to use right?
max on the NF7 boards is 1.75v so you'd need to do a volt mod...you could either do it with soldering and a resistor, which is a pain in the ass for someone like me who can't hold a tiny ass soldering iron steady...or theres the pencil mod in which you simply put a layer of graphite on a particular resistor and keep measuring the voltage with a multimeter.

Coulda sworn I had it bookmarked somewhere but just look up NF7-S v2 volt mod or north bridge volt mod, something like that and you'll find it.

you could use the pin mod, anyone heard of that?
I was the one that posted that site on ehre remember? :p
max on the NF7 boards is 1.75v so you'd need to do a volt mod...you could either do it with soldering and a resistor, which is a pain in the ass for someone like me who can't hold a tiny ass soldering iron steady...or theres the pencil mod in which you simply put a layer of graphite on a particular resistor and keep measuring the voltage with a multimeter.
I have a Shuttle AN35N, wil it work on that? Link me man. I can solder really well and have good cooling on my NB. But would i be able to OC anymore than i am?
I overclocked my 2400+ from 1.8Ghz to 2.2Ghz on stock cooling...
Word:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom