Getting files off hard drive on damaged system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwuh

Beta member
I am fixing a computer that has a problematic motherboard that I plan to replace with a better one. I will probably also wipe the hard drive and reinstall OS for good measure. The owner wants valuable information off the hard drive. Is it possible to take out the hard drive and get the needed information off of it somehow? I guess what I am asking is if I can plug it into another system and get the files I need or will there be too many issues with drivers conflicting with hardware that is totally different?

no thats a good idea stick it in another working machine that has a good hard drive and is running off of it. Then stick the hard drive that you need to get the files off of in the working system as a secondary or slave drive. Windows will see it in My computer, so access it and copy the files somewhere. tada

Good luck!

You don't even have to stick it in yoru system. Just buy one of those ide-usb adapters and you can just hook it up to your external usb and it will show up like that

If that doesn't work, there're agencies that'll do it for you. My dad had to have it done when the hurricanes tore one of his offices up, and damaged the servers pretty badly ~_~. Think he used cbl technologies (cbltech.com). They almost guarantee it, but i think it costs a bit. Also, if you have norton, there's a data recovery program in norton utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom