Best overclockable Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the x2 3800. they're about the same price, the main difference is overclocking.

macombaland said:
how long do you suppose that thing would go until next upgrade? i will be overclocking.

also how would it handle next years new engines?
if you get a good overclock, like 700mhz or more, it should last a pretty long while.

Well, you should EASILY hit 2.4GHz on it, which would be exactly the same as the 4800+X2. Since the ones on monarch are susposed to have good steppings however, you should be able to OC it even more, and there is nothing higher than the 4800+ to compare it to, well, except for the FX-60 which will be dual core and be 2.6GHz per core, and that is not out yet, and when it does come out it is expected to have an MSRP of $1300, and generally speaking, when things first come out they are usually more than the MSRP. So if you get it to 2.6GHz which is very probable, you have a $1300+ CPU for more than $1000 less.

On the CPU headspreader. It would say something like CABNE 0530. That is a very good stepping, but thats for the single core opterons. The way you find out if your stepping is good is by seeing how far you can OC it and stay prime stable.

You can tell by looking at the actual processor. E6 is not the stepping, it's the revision. You see the stepping on the actual processor. Like I said above, an example would be CABNE 0530, or CABGE 0541. The stepping is on the actual heatspreader of the CPU. And it seems the price has gone up now. It is 359 now, it was 339 earlier. I got mine for 290.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom