Best overclockable Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but wouldnt a 170 do good too. I mean still what could i get a 165 to and a 170 to. Youd figure the higher mhz it has , the higher oc in total UNLESS they are all the same chip and downclocked and would reach same mhz in oc. Idk. Ok question (revised). What is the best overclockable dual core NEWEGG carries?

The current batch of 165 at monarch are a very good stepping. This was on xtremesystems the other day. Dude, they have been discontinued. Get one while you can.

The chart answers all

cpuguide7cg.jpg

My 3800+ overclocks fairly well. If you wanted to say in the Athlon market then I would say stick with a manchester core. Theoretically, they can be overclocked futher because they contain fewer transistors than the Toledo core. I have talked to people that have gotten theirs up to 2.4 with no problem. Currently mine is at 2.2 because I dont have to time to take to do stability tests (I will once the sesmester ends).

Actually, cache size having an impact on overclockability is a myth...there are many Manchester cores out there which are infact Toledo cores with broken L2 cache...and they generally overclock better than "native" Manchester cores due to the better E4 stepping

Transitor size will have limited impact on how well a processor overclocks, it's all about which fabrication line the processor came from and when...or basically, just how much the processor was speedbinned/vcore binned

What did you add the two core speeds together like a newb?

No it doesn't, it runs at 1.8. When software is written for multiple cores, it would be like 3.6ghz.

And for me it would be like 5.0GHz because I have mine OC'd. Once my new cooler gets here I will OC it even more.

So Im sorry if I sound like a broken record but i want to really verify this becuase if the opteron 165 is really better than or almost as good as a 900$ AMD Dual-Core Opteron 270 I will order one right now.

Thnaks :)
-Maximilian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom