AMD stops production of Socket 939 Opterons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I just caught this on theinquirer.net. Anyone know anything about it?

THE LAUNCH of Opterons for Socket 939 was obviously just a smoke in the mirror. The complete stock of Opterons model number 14x and 16x (dual-core) dissapeared from e-tailers and retailers, with hundreds of overclockers buying even six or eight CPU's at the same time. Reason: Opteron, a 1MB L2 cache processor was priced lower than Athlon 64 models with 512KB of L2 cache. Also, those Opteron babies were bad-boys when it comes to cooling, working at 2.7-2.9 GHz with air-cooling - at zero problems, with a lower operating temperature than default-clocked Pentium D 840.

This has come to a close, as we have received a document that goes to show that company has decided to stop production of several different SKU's.

Stopped items from AMD for Q4
SDA2500BXBOX
SDA3100BXBOX
ADA3000BPBOX
ADA3200BPBOX
ADA3500BPBOX
939pin Opterons

You can see that the company has stopped production of Sempr0n 2500+, 3100+ and Athlon 64 3000+, 3200+ and 3500+, all in Processor-In-Box (PIB) format. At the end of the list, all Opterons using Socket 939. Is this a preparation for early Socket M2 launch?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28250

Yep, its true. AnandTech has also reported it. AMD also plans on stopping production of their popular 64 3200+ and 3500+ cpus as well and as soon as that news was released both NewEggand Zipzoomfly raised the prices. I should know because I waited an extra day before ordering an AMD 64 3200+ Venice and I had to pay more for it tyhan what was listed the previous day. :(

oh geez, good thing i bought one :) so i guess the people who were saying that was true :eek:

They aren't discontinuing 3200+ and 3500+ chips, they're discontinuing 3200/3500 E3 Stepping chips and replacing them with E4 stepping that is the same fabrication used on San Diego and Venus cores with half the cache disabled

Same thing with some of the Manchester X2s out there, many of them are actually Toledo cores with broken cache and they'll generally yield better overclocks

Yes, you are correct, gaara, my bad by forgetting to mention the revision of the stepping. One thing,though as Anandtech stated, this move by AMD has caught mecrchants offguard.

Monarchcomputer has the opteron 148 for ~$210 right now. I should be ordering that this weekend and i hope they dont run out by then.....

NEWS FLASH!

An article on xbitlabs.com...
AMD Denies Phase Out of Opteron Chips for Socket 939.
AMD Opteron Processors for Socket 939 to Live on

Advanced Micro Devices denied on Tuesday rumours spread by a web-site regarding cancellation of production of AMD Opteron processors for servers and workstation designed for desktop-oriented 939-pin infrastructure. The company said it would continue to ship the chips for uni-processor (UP) business machines for more than a year from the time speaking.

“Socket 939 AMD Opteron 100 Series processors are in production. AMD will continue to produce Opteron 100 Series processors with ECC unbuffered memory support in 2006, and we will adjust production volumes as needed to supply our server and workstation customers,” said Brett Jacobs, a spokesman for AMD.

The full articlle is here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20051213122715.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom