Changing Temp Folder on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

murihikukid

Baseband Member
Hi...I am a real dumbie so please be warned I find it difficult to follow instructions unless very precise...
My problem is I have a program installed that is downloading into a temp file on my C.Drive........IE.....Documents and Settings/All Users/ Application Data/grouper/1.0.0.0/142088/ temporary downloads.....

Unfortunately my C Drive with my XP OS is small (5.1gb) (although I do have large secondary drives)....and I am experiencing all sorts of problems because simply I just run out of space.

So I Googled and discovered that one can change a temp file to another drive....via Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables........So upon going there I found a "User Variables For Murihikukid(thats me)" window and a "System Variables" window......

So My question is....(1)Can I make a new Temp folder on my D drive that takes the place of the Temporary Download folder on my C drive and thereby eliminating my space problem......and (2) if so......
could I please be given precise instructions on how I write this in ...I am sure one clicks on New....but I am reluctant to do this as its territory I know nothing about...
Any help would be sincerely appreciated thanks ...MurihikuKid NZ.

Attachments

• environment.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 103
Change your "MY DOCUMENTS" Target

Hello murihikukid,

I personally always download files, programs etc. to my desktop which makes them easy to find. Then after installing a program or moving a file to a more permanent storage (like a new folder) I delete all the folders, program setup files etc. from my desktop.

If you're low on C: drive disk space and you have another "physical" Drive (D: I believe you said), you can change your location of the entire "My Documents" folder by:

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Right-Click on your "My Documents" folder and click on "Properties".
3. Click on "Move" under the "Target" menu
4. Choose your new destination (i.e. D:\My Documents)

Another thing you could do is to re-partition your C:\ drive allocating more room if you have the physical space. If your C:\ drive is just an older small drive then it wouldn't work. If you do have more room but it's under a different drive allocation, you'll need something like Norton or PartionMagic to partion the drive.

NOTE! I see you are using Win XP so you might reference this link:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htm

Hope this makes some sense to you.

jnulr:eek:

Jnulr..Thanks for your reply....Yes using the desktop as you suggest is a practice I agree with...I am no expert but I am sure playing round with ones Documents and Settings Folder would be a recipe for disaster.....Again partitioning is not an option ..my C drive is 5.1gb ...thats it!
The Program concerned does not give one the option of changing its temporary download folder although I am hoping of clarification on this point... hopefully as soon as possible..
As stated earlier message I came across what I think is reference to a method where ,as I read it, one can create a temporary folder on another drive and re-direct the downloads from this one particular program to it.....But understandably I want to be 100% sure that (1) it works and (2) how exactly does one write it into XP...Regards Murihikukid

Ok, never doen this before, but here is guess as to how to do it:
1.) on you D drive (or wherever has enough space) create a folder called temp, or somethign that you would recognize, then another folder called tmp, or somethign similar
2.) on the system vaiable screen (the one you attached), slecet TEMP, and hit edit, find the box that has the current path in it and replace it with the one to the folder you just created (ie D:\temp\). Then d the same for the other entry (TMP) and the other folder. If you look at the current paths and they both point to the same folder, then you don't need that second folder on youer D drive.

If you want to free up even more space, try putting you pagefile on somethign other than C. Go to Ctrl Panel>System>Advanced> Performance> Settings>Advanced> down at the bottom, Change and move it somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom