Help new motherboard installation, chaintech s1689

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your going to have to get a bootable CD somehow. Those upgrade CD's aren't bootable. See if you can get on from a friend, even Windows 98 will work.

i tried to reboot with windows 2000 pro cd but it didnt work. Should the hard drive be empty. or do I have to clear the cmos each time?

evan833 said:
i tried to reboot with windows 2000 pro cd but it didnt work. Should the hard drive be empty. or do I have to clear the cmos each time?

Make sure you change the boot order in CMOS so that it prompts you to boot from CD, so the boot order should be changed in CMOS to CD rom first.

Clearing the CMOS will not affect anything On the HD itself, Harddrive doesn't have to be empty.

same thing

I checked and the cd/dvd drive is first boot type.
I see that it lites up spins and does something with the Windows 2000 install cd. I also hear the hard drive working but it still gives me 1 sec. of blue death when trying to start windows.
and then prompt me to start normal or last known or safe mode.
I have tried all modes at restart and the same thing over and over. I have the hard drive as master on primary IDE. jumper at cable select. I have the cd drive as master on secondary IDE. jumber at CS.

evan833 said:

Would Clearing all infor off of the hard drive help?
This is killing me.
Bingo! You need to reinstall the OS in order for the drive to work on the new setup, unless you use it as a slave drive. But if you don't have any info on it you care to keep, just reinstall the OS and call it a day!

I'm assuming you can at least get to the BIOS? Do you have a full version of 98 or better? If you answer yes to both of those questions, just reformat the hd and then do a fresh install of the OS and you should be golden;)

Re: PULLING MY HAIR OUT!

evan833 said:
First of all. I thank you tremendously for helping me.

At this point I just want the whole thing to work. I pulled the slave hard drive off of my older computer. While it was a total backup of the Master. I would give all the info up to get this new computer working. I have been craving to build my own computer. Spending all my lunch hours peering at mother boards, processors and cases. I have finally purchased them but ran into this. So close but still So far away.

I have a supposed good copy of Windows 2000 to Install. and then upgrade to my purchased Windows XP.
I can still get an XP reinstallation cd but it was for a Dell. I think it works only for the Dell computer sold with it.
Sorry if im late but DO NOT USE THAT DELL DISC. You will be in worse shape than you are now because that disc has all the drivers for the mobo for that Dell system, not good.

I have set the cd as the first boot. I thought since it went thru a sequence it would pick up the cd after seeing nothing in the floppy
even without a foppy on the computer it need the cd set to first in sequence.
I am reformatting as we speak and at 52%. I will let you know what happens.
So far so good. I will let you know thanks for all that helped me I guess that shooting spree will have to go on hold for now.

I am installing windows 2000 pro and then will upgrade using my purchased Windows XP Upgrade cd.

evan833 said:
I have set the cd as the first boot. I thought since it went thru a sequence it would pick up the cd after seeing nothing in the floppy
even without a foppy on the computer it need the cd set to first in sequence.
I am reformatting as we speak and at 52%. I will let you know what happens.
So far so good. I will let you know thanks for all that helped me I guess that shooting spree will have to go on hold for now.

I am installing windows 2000 pro and then will upgrade using my purchased Windows XP Upgrade cd.
yeah, when setting up a new system, you must tell the BIOS to boot from the drive you want to boot from.........

All will be fine once you do the fresh install, no worries;)

Up and running thank you for your help!
The Final answer was:
I didn't have the CD set as the first boot in the sequence of boots.
I originally didn't have a solid boot cd "Windows installation CD"

evan833 said:
Up and running thank you for your help!
The Final answer was:
I didn't have the CD set as the first boot in the sequence of boots.
I originally didn't have a solid boot cd "Windows installation CD"
Congrats! Let us know how you like your new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom