Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 in 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwiz

Beta member
Okay, so a while ago, I bought an IBM desktop in the old pancake style (it fit my workstation perfectly). It had a celeron Processor at 266 mHz, 32 Mg RAM, and a 2.1 Gb HD. In its first life, it was a fax server for a large group of lawyers. When I got ahold of it, I f-disked the hard drive, took out the c-mos battery to reset that and had very little difficulty until I tried to load my Windowd Millenium o/s. Apparently this machine was once a drone to either IBM/s old OS2, or maybe another type of database software (NT?). At any rate, no matter what disk I put into the A drive to try and load a windows o/s, I get the error message: Invalid Operating System. Remove the floppy from your drive and try again.
What can I do to get this dang thing to recognize who the boss is here? I need to install either 98 or ME. Can anyone give me a few ideas?
Thanks,
Gwiz

Okay, no ME. But why? And how can I boot off the CD? Don't you have to insert a floppy?

no, windows discs from 98 onwards are bootable. go into bios and change the boot order so that cd is first and just stick the cd in. works almost like a boot disk, to get a command prompt just like from a boot disk select "start computer with cd-rom support". from there you should be able to use fdisk and start the setup. if you're worried that something to do with it running os/2 previously is affecting it check through os/2 bios options and disable them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom