Help new motherboard installation, chaintech s1689

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan833

Baseband Member
Help Me! New motherboard, processor installation, chaintech s1689, AMD64 3000

Hello All,
I have undergone my first motherboard installation.
It is hanging up when trying to load windows.

I previously had a dell 4300, P4 1.6 with windows me.
I upgraded windows ME to windows XP using the purchased windows upgrade cd.
Now that I have purchase a new case, motherboard (chaintech s1689), processor AMD 64 Athalon 3000 and 3200 memory from tigerdirect. It is hanging up at the windows part of the boot up.
I am using the old hard drive in this new configuration.

It is recognizing all components in the BIOS. and I see and hear everything "working" but it is still hangin up.

I have tried to boot up with the XP upgrade CD but it doesnt work.

I have downloaded the windows XP SP1 boot disks and then wrote out (6) diskettes and used them at boot up. Everything seamed like it was working but when I got to the end It did the same thing.

HELP ME PLEASE.

You can't use an upgrade disk.
Using the Operating Disk that you used last to format and install your Current Operating systems you have to boot off that disk and preform a repair.

So I need to install the original Windows Me boot disks.
If I dont have them anymore (as I say that I heard in my head IDIOT)
Do you think the downloadable Windows Me Boot disks woud work instead?

cant find original windows boot disk

I dont have the original boot disks for windows Me. Is there another way I can get some form of Windows running on my new computer so I can use my Windows XP Upgrade CD.

Should I borrow someones windows 2000 and do a full install and then upgrade using my Windows XP Upgrade cd?

I definetly need help!

I am still not able to open windows. all new components except a hard drive from another computer. Which started with Windows Me and Upgraded to Windows XP with the Upgrade disk.
All seams to be connected and working but It will not open windows.

I got windows 2000 install disks from a friend and put them im my cd drive but it still booted with the blue screen of death for about 1 second.

Do you think I may have to format the the drive I am using with another computer. Like the information it has on it is causing confusion at boot.

Would Clearing all infor off of the hard drive help?
This is killing me.

Well, if none of the data is important to you, then yes you can go out and buy or "Aquire" an XP disk or whatever OS you want to run and then boot off of it, reformat the drive and Intall.

but..

Far As I see you upgraded to XP from ME correct?

Personnally, It would be easier to reformat and start over.

But Im sure you don't want to do that. Post back.

What your going to have to do is re-format your harddrive, install Windows ME (with someone else's copy if you no longer have your original), then use the upgrade CD to install Windows XP.

**Note: This is all being done on your new setup.**

PULLING MY HAIR OUT!

First of all. I thank you tremendously for helping me.

At this point I just want the whole thing to work. I pulled the slave hard drive off of my older computer. While it was a total backup of the Master. I would give all the info up to get this new computer working. I have been craving to build my own computer. Spending all my lunch hours peering at mother boards, processors and cases. I have finally purchased them but ran into this. So close but still So far away.

I have a supposed good copy of Windows 2000 to Install. and then upgrade to my purchased Windows XP.
I can still get an XP reinstallation cd but it was for a Dell. I think it works only for the Dell computer sold with it.

I'm not to sure about the DELL XP CD. I have XP Home on one of my HELLS:D and it worked fine on other computers. If you have both CD's there will be no harm done if you try what I said, after all you can always just re-format again:).

Reformat

I dont have the original Windows Me disks. How do I reformat? Do I have to do it in another Computer. Then install in new computer. Will that make Either of the Windows boot disks work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom