Building a Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

talonfighter25

Baseband Member
Alright I have barely scratched the surface of the PC gaming world, and im sure most of you experts are rolling your eyes at the sight of another newbie, but im looking for advice from the consumers perspective and not someone with a financial agenda.

Ok, im slowly trying to build a Gaming PC that i can use for a while without having to upgrade in a year. I read the post about SLI motherboards, and it really doesnt say whether its worth it or not to get the SLI. Who has used a SLI board, and what are your opinions about it?

Basically this is where i get torn in what to actually buy. If the SLI actually does what its thought to do, i wouldn't have to buy a top of the line GPU, but just two lower end GPUs that combine. Atleast i thought thats what the SLI enabled me to do.

I already have a mouse, keyboard, speakers, floppy, and cd burner.

This is what im looking for:
1.) a gaming machine that i can play games like DOOM 3 on the highest settings.
2.) I can have dual monitor capabilities
basically i want a fast machine, that i won't have to worry about lagging with mulitple programs, or during games, yadayadayada

Thats really all i want out of the system is to play games with some of the best quality, but nothing fancy outside that. Games and basic computer stuff(internet, word, powerpoint).

I can spend about $700-800

I know the combinations are endless, but what do yall recommend?

Sorry for being long winded, i take after my father

Im sorry to say but $800 probably wont play newer games, DOOM 3 included, on max settings. You wont be able to SLI with that budget either.
Here is what i would recommend
AMD 64 3200
6800GS
MSI or DFI lanparty Ultra-D motherboard
2 gigs of value RAM or 1 gig OCing RAM
nice big hard drive (western Digital or Seagate)
Cheap case
Fortron PSU

Sorry i dont have links, but i have to write an essay due tomorrow and i just started. I get distracted too easily lol.

Well i found a SLI board that was 130.00 and when you add in all these that i found online (mostly at Toms hardware) all this runs at about $600. Now that doesnt mean that some of the things i have looked below arent crap, that is just what i have compiled so far.

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
ABIT AN8SLI MotherBoard ATX
MSI GeForce 660NX 6600-TD256E Video Card (2)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Lite-On SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM Drive
ThermalTake Thermatalke TR2 W0070RUC 430W Power Supply

Is there anything wrong with the above products and or compatibility?

In my opinion, SLI isnt really that great. I think a 6800gs will beat 2x 6600 vanillas. I dont have any benchmarks or anything, but i think that other people will back me up on that.
Where is the RAM?
Thermaltake PSUs really arent that great. Go with a fortron if you on a tight budget.

Thats all i can say for tonight
Time to sleep. *YAWN*

yeah i didnt include the ram yet. It will depend on if the mobo i get will take the (2) 512 sticks i have in my current machine. Why do you not like the SLI?

I also havent included the case either. The case maker i was trying to get ahold of is being a dumbass because she wont give me the dimensions for the PSU slot. I wasnt sure if the PSU i was looking at would fit in the case. Needless to say the distributor of the case has been scratched off my list for being stupid.

Does Doom 3 even work with SLi? I saw some benchmarks of video cards and on some of the games they tested the 1 video card on its own was beating the 2 in SLi

what is this "unreal engine"? should i be prepping my computer for it like getting SLI? Is this unreal thing going to be the standard for future games?

It is a game engine. Like the Doom engine, or the Source engine. It is what a TON of future games are going to be built on. It will have incredible graphics. Just look up pictures/videos of Unreal Tournament 2007. That is using the Unreal engine 3

also SLI just insn't worth it right now and i also think that the 6800GS beats the two 6600 vanillas cause SLI only gives about a 30 to 40 % increase in performance in games that take advantage of SLI and most games out right now aren't written so they can take full advantage of SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom