my maxtor 40gb became 980gb. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
after upgrading my graphic card to gefore fx5500 128mb from evga when i open my pc the first time it said found new hardware which is a hard drive, then my maxtor 40gb 7200 rpm drive was disappear from my computer, and noticed this(see pic) change from disk management. then after i updated the drive for the graphic card, restarted. it becomes normal size, the it was unallocated(btw what's that mean?) and everything inside was gone, i formated it locally, it works again. i thought it was over, but now it happends again without any sigh like the first time( new hardware found) what can i do??:(

Attachments

• 980g.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 72
Unallocated means it's not partitioned, and I've never seen anything like that before.

So U format it then without warning it deletes itself and read as 980gb?

LOL

They are pretty bad aint they, but that's still strange even for them.

Maybe a virus?

i think you should try another os when it does this and see if it does the same. simplest would be a linux live-cd because you would not have to format and install to check. either its a really f'ed up drive or ide controller or that gfx card is messing with your motherboard something vicious. that is of course if it isn't a virus.

edit: i'm sure there is actually a mathematical relationship between the size it's reporting and the actual size but i can't spot it lol.

well i right clicke and choose the first option from that drive, restarted, then it's turned back to normal again, but still alocated, so means that everything is gone again XD there is a new problem dicovered, but i am not sure if it's realated tho, i was trying to download a file then i canceled it at the beginning(i am using firefox to download to the destop) it was an .exe file, eventhough i canceled, there is a 0bit .exe file remain there can can't delete no matter what it saids it may be using by other person or program, but even after restart, and even tried to use msconfig to disable any service and starups, and even to to save mode, there should have no other program nor person that could be using it. don't know why.btw if i am out of the topic simply ignore me, then i might post in another topic.

today it happends again :( and i everytime before it happend, the computer is usually noticeablly slower then usual, when opening files, the flash light is there indicating searching..... and the mouse icon well freze in every 10 or 20 seconds, games lags every 10 to 20 seconds, the weirdest thing, under device manager, the Maxtor drive name changed, and it became "Maxtor(6M0<0L0((((((((((" the exact name, how weird....

lol i think i probably fixed it........ it is weird, true, now after doing everything, i've come to a point that the lag is gone, the information inside the drive is recovered(up to a point of recently formated) and everything seems fine again, I just hope this well last, and most likely it well, here is how: First of all, it is actually because of the wire of the drive, that is why i said it's weird, if it's a wire problem how can you explain i am able to sucessfully boot but lag?? because my power supply isn't the latest, and it had just enough power source for me to plug in to different device, here is the set up, the main source was connected to a fan first, which then came out to connect to the slave drive, then the master. the master is used to boot the windows, which is the last being connected(how weird? i boot just fine) the secondary which is the maxtor(the master is a seagate) everytime things going on was the secondary, and the source for the master drive was actually came out from the secondary. i noticed it's a link problem while i see the case fan isn't even moving. -_- then i try tighten the secondary drive a bit, then i notice, when i do that the drive is moving then stop and move again......... you should know what happends next, now the fan is removed, connecting directly --secondary>master , restart, then the files in the secondary lives again. now i came to a conclusion that it's the conductivity of one or more wires in that line, but can anyone explain(the 4 lines 1 yellow 2 black middle and another red)how the 4 lines work, and how can this weird thing happen? ---secondary failed and master boots suceed every time but lagging? sorry for the long post lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom