need to know what i need to upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyc

Beta member
Hi everyone, I got a new computer not long ago, I didn't have a lot of money as I am a student! It's an Acer Aspire T120E, here are the specs: Amd Sempron 2800, 256mb RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, Geforce 6600 Graphics Card. When I run games like Call Of Duty, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault there is not steady frame rates and it takes a long time to close when i quit. The technical specifications on the games are all below my specs, so i was just wondering which part of my computer I need to upgrade to make everything run smoothly? Any help would be much appreciated! Thankyou.

One thing major that stands out here is you need more RAM! Those games may be below your specs but most likely you'd have to have those games set on their lowest settings.

Definately get more RAM. Your mobo can handle DDR 400, so I would recommend getting either one or two sticks of CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB from NewEgg at $36.50 + $4.81 Three Day Shipping each. Use these to replace, not supplement, your current RAM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026

Also, your CPU is a socket A, which is no longer in production. Whatever is still in the market is all that there are. If I were you, I'd look about getting a 3200+ or a 3000+ while they are still available. Your mobo can handle either one.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80180
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80179-R
Or you could go for a Athlon XP-M CPU. They run cooler, but are hard to find.

Something to keep in mind is that, eventually, you will need a bigger hard drive. Storage is a fairly cheap upgrade.

The 2800 can efortlessly overclock to 3200 speeds. I used stock voltage and it was fine.

2800 = Sempron.
Sempron = very little cache.
Acer = prebuilt, locked BIOS, no OC.

Oh, TimmyC, you may want to add a case fan (80mm) to the back of your case. Every little bit of air circulation helps.

thanks guys!

Thanks for all your help guys, it's been really useful, I will get the RAM and new processor ordered! How hard is it to fit a new processor? Thanks again, guys.

its simple its basically a matter of unfastening the retaining clips and pulling the old cpu off. stick the new one in (make sure its the correct way around :p) and fasten the clips again. the tricky bit is putting a heatsink and thermal paste on. this is to cool the cpu and is ABSOLUTELY necessary. you can use the heatsink fan that comes with the cpu but i would reccomend buying some arctic silver 5 (thermal paste). i don't think instructions come with the paste but its pretty simple to google for how to apply it. make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY because far too many people make the mistake of assuming the more thermal paste the better. follow the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem. oh and you might also want to google ESD (Electro Static Discharge) because cpu's are sensitive to static electricity.

thanks man

Thanks, so with my new cpu and RAM, would my comp play those games ok now? And if i don't feel confident enough to fit the heatsink fan, would a computer shop do it for me?

One more thing...

I am working to a budget, and the best and most affordable way to get a new cpu seems to be a AMD ATHLON XP3000+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU, which is 70 GBP from ebuyer.com. Is this a good enough cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom