Barton 2500+ Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
Hey, after getting some arctic silver and some DDR 400 Corsair XMS i have done a bit of overclocking.

My 2500+ @ stock runs at 1.8ghz with a 333fsb bus. Once my ram arrived i upped the FSB to 400mhz to make it run at 2.2ghz which is 3200+ speeds.

Once my Arctic Silver 5 arrived, i put it on and saw a reduce in temps so i upped the fsb to 210, then 220 @ 1.750v. This makes the current speed 2.42ghz @ 220fsb. Once ive finished Prime95 testing ill go up to 230fsb.

Wayne

Bartons are good overclockers. I did the same with my 2500 (to 3200 speeds)

yes i also have a 2500 barton ive had it for about 8 moths now and its a kill cpu lol. i have it at 2455mhz. not to hi of a overclock i know but its becasue my motherboard cant go but to 1.85 volt vcore. and also my memory cant go but to 2.7volt. even tho my memory is rated at 2.9v-3.2v

I have my 2600+ at 200mhz FSB @ 2.3ghz w/ no temp increase not is there a voltage increase. I also have a huge copper HSF mounted to it so i wonder how far i can make it go. Man my LAN machine is a beast haha.

its quite ironic, my fanboy friend was showing off this Venice 3000+ back when my XP 2500+ was clocked at stock. But at 2.42ghz the XP does much better than his 3000+, and he cant overclock because of Generic Ram.

its quite ironic, my fanboy friend was showing off this Venice 3000+ back when my XP 2500+ was clocked at stock. But at 2.42ghz the XP does much better than his 3000+, and he cant overclock because of Generic Ram.
your friend is an idiot then....regardless of generic RAM, that's what memory dividers are for....my RAM recently started crapping out on me so I have to run it at PC3200 speeds, but I can still run my CPU at 2.5GHz which, even if my venice was the same as your XP running at 2.42GHz it'd still beat out the XP clock for clock not to mention that even if your RAM is overclocked, a PC3200 at stock with an AMD64 system would still provide much better memory bandwidth.

your friend is an idiot then

I know :p :p :p

Whats the point of running your FSB just say at 250mhz and have your ram at 200mhz running on a divider. Ive heard that it can reduce performance a lot if you dont do it right, but if you do the performance increases are pretty bad even because the cpu cant talk with ram at the fsb speed, its limited to the ram speed.

I was only saying that because the guy was sometimes a bit of an idiot, and the XP's can keep up with the Athlon 64's :)

even if my venice was the same as your XP running at 2.42GHz

Oh yes, the Venice's are more efficient than the XP's Clock for Clock. An Athlon XP @ 2.2ghz is around equal to a Venice at 1.8ghz.

a PC3200 at stock with an AMD64 system would still provide much better memory bandwidth.

How does that work? Yeah sure, the FSB (HTT) runs at 250mhz just say, but it cant transfer data to the ram any faster than 200mhz because the ram is running at 200mhz so the data wont go around the system any faster than 200mhz as the memory is the bottleneck.

yea actually with my cpu at 2.5ghz im beating a fx53 in multi media benchmarking and ive almost got it in arithmatic. so what im saying is 2.5ghz isnt the limit on my chip. my brother has just upgraded from a 3.6ghz P4 HT, to a amd 64 3000 venice this actually wasnt an upgrade at first but he was intending on getting it to itleast 2.4ghz for it to beat his 3.6p. but lol he got it to 2.8ghz lucky him and this is all running on a HIS x850xt pe clocked at 570mhz core! 1.2ghz memory amazing as you can see he got luck with both chips lol. hes almost running with a 7800gt with a 3dmark05 score of 7083,and his (CPU score is over 5600 wow! and 30,100 in 3dmark01se that really shows you how cpu limited that test is . and 15,400 in 3dmark03

this is making me want to get a 3000 venice and hopfully get a lucky 2.8ghz

Whats the point of running your FSB just say at 250mhz and have your ram at 200mhz running on a divider. Ive heard that it can reduce performance a lot if you dont do it right, but if you do the performance increases are pretty bad even because the cpu cant talk with ram at the fsb speed, its limited to the ram speed.
this is primarily only a problem on the nf2, socket A boards that this creates a bottleneck....but still with those boards, if your CPU could be 250x10 but your RAM could only do say 225 that'd still be an improvement over 200x10 regardless of a bottleneck.

Yes I'm pissed off that my RAM is giving me BS and so I'm forced to clock it back down to 200MHz instead of 250MHz which is what I had my CPU at so it was at 1:1, but 1:1 on AMD64s isn't nearly as important as 1:1 on the socket A systems.

How does that work? Yeah sure, the FSB (HTT) runs at 250mhz just say, but it cant transfer data to the ram any faster than 200mhz because the ram is running at 200mhz so the data wont go around the system any faster than 200mhz as the memory is the bottleneck.
The ondie memory controller of the AMD64's is far superior to the north bridge system used in the socket A systems.

if you went a ran a memory benchmark test right now it'd probably be 3gb/sec to 3.1gb/sec or so......you run the same setup on AMD64, lets say 200MHz ram, and regardless if the CPU is set to 200, 250, or even 300HTT, the RAM on an AMD64 will be like 6.5gb/sec memory bandwidth...that's purely because of the ondie memory controller vs the north bridge on the socket A's which handle the memory transfer and really slows the process down...this is also why that 'bottleneck' doesn't matter as much on AMD64's

So basically what I'm getting at, is lets pretend you have your socket A system and you've got it running 300x8 = 2.4GHz and your RAM and CPU both are running at 300MHz........an AMD64 system running at 200x12 will beat it out in terms of memory bandwidth........that's just because the AMD64's ondie memory controller is THAT good over the north bridge system and the AMD64 would still outperform that XP.

Trust me I used to think like you too and would challenge any AMD64 system out there with my XP-Mobile, but really, that memory bandwidth alone will pretty much wipe the XP's clean.

So as long as his CPU speed is pretty close to yours, his would actually be more powerful....run a test like Aquamark or 3dmark01 and you'll probably notice it.

This is what I got in aquamark with my XP-Mobile:

430/1150 6800GT @ DDR400 - 2.6GHz - 71.89 - 59,093 - Aquamark3

you can see the RAM is normal PC3200 speeds, and the CPU is 2.6GHz, this is using 200x13 so theres no bottleneck...now check out my AMD64

430/1150 6800GT @ DDR400 - 2GHz - 71.89 - 65,664 - Aquamark 3

Same GPU speeds, Same RAM speeds, AMD64 is running 6GHz less than the XP and it still scores 6k over it.

This is with my GPU, RAM, and CPU on the AMD64 overclocked quite a bit:

450/1205 6800GT @ DDR510 - 2.55GHz - 78.01 - 77,971 - Aquamark 3

Sooo like I said, the AMD64's are just way more optimized

yea actually with my cpu at 2.5ghz im beating a fx53 in multi media benchmarking and ive almost got it in arithmatic.
I can guarantee you a 2.5GHz XP won't beat out a 2.4GHz FX chip.....they wouldn't make that FX series and consider it the most powerful single core chip out there if an XP a mere 100MHz over could beat it out. I hope you're not using something like SiSoftware Sandra to get these results as their method of benching has been pretty flawed in recent years.

thanks for the explination nubius. I now know whats going on.

I use super pi to guage performance (ill probably be told that this is crap form of benchmark though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom