Computer Nosedive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vajdoc

Solid State Member
I had installed XP the other day, updated everything and then went to bed. When I got up this morning the computer wouldn't respond at all. I eventually reset the CMOS and got the screen to appear. Now, it won't boot up. I even tried having it boot directly to the CD, to try and reinstall XP.

The screen is black and the cursor blinks no matter what I try. At the initial boot and in BIOS, everything seems to be recognized and working properly.

Just to give a slight preface on things. Someone was goofing off online before I could install the firewall or adjust the internet settings and someone let all this spyware come in and then XP freaked out and also said there was a virus. I cleaned up as much as possible. So, I have a feeling that could have something to do with this as well. But I can't get in to reformat the harddrive.

So you cant even boot from the CD? Are you sure you have the boot order so that the CD is before the hard drive? Even if you have a dead hard drive or no hard drive it should always still boot to the CD.

No, it definitely won't boot from the CD. I checked the BIOS again to make sure the boot order is correct. When it boots, it seems to recognize all the devices fine, but before it should go to the Windows Logo, the screen just stays blank with a blinking cursor.

Ste said:
Don't double post the same Topic..

I only replied one time?

Sounds like its having trouble with the MBR..can you even boot with a floppy? You have an old win98 or DOS boot floppy you can try out?

Win2kpatcher said:
I only replied one time?

Sounds like its having trouble with the MBR..can you even boot with a floppy? You have an old win98 or DOS boot floppy you can try out?

Not you.

Vajdoc posted this same topic twice.

That's true. I did. Another poster suggested that I also post it here.

I don't see how this is relevant. I'm just trying to get help, not flood the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom