Help Please? "Random" Shutdowns!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez

Beta member
Hi, I run Windows XP SP2 Home Edition, P4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM.

I usually keep my computer on 24 hours a day constantly but one morning I woke up and found it switched off. Since then whenever I try turning it on it tends to shutdown automatically around the screen where you see Windows XP and the blue/green loading bar.

I have done a RAM stability test, a graphics card stability test, Scan Disk on both my Harddrives, used registry mechanic to help with my registry, performed scans with Avast and AVG, cleaned the inside of the computer for dust, checked if the the cooling fans still function and used my XP CD to repair windows.

I am completely out of ideas at the moment, the computer works perfectly on any type of safemode (am on Safemode with network atm) and whenever I work for a period of time on Safemode and then retsart it into normal mode the computer manages to funtion normally for about 30minutes before shutting down again (when this happens the logs usually shows DCOM Error 10005, but most of the shutdowns occur before windows really has a chance to start).

I would really prefer to fix this problem without having to format my harddrives, hope somebody can help me >.<!!!

Thanks everyone in advance!!!!!!!!!

//Ibanez

Makaveli213 said:
Okay from what i read on this it is an IIS error. There are some registry keys that are giving you problems. If you have a system restore point i would use that. If not then try to see if you can go to windows update from safe mode and make sure your system is fully up to date. After that try looking here and see if some of this info helps out:http://forum.adiscon.com/topic,435.html

This one might also help too:
http://www.alegsa.com.ar/N/i60/Dcom error event id 10005.php

Try this first...if it doesn't work

Let me know how much data/memory is in your hard drive that YOU NEED.
Do you have a spare hard drive that can cover those data?

If you can, take out the hard drive from the computer,
format the spare one
hook the main hard drive as a slave
drag the info to the spare one (which should have your OS)
after that, format the main hard drive

if you don't have a spare hard drive and the above doesn't work
reformatting is suggested.
or just buy a hard drive and do the above.

I hate when random power surges/ power outages f*** up your computer. I had this happen to me and I just ended up using linux live to move all of my important stuff to another hdd and formating the old one and reinstalling windows.

I'm not very good with the registry so I have no clue as to how I can fix my dcom errors and I can't use windows update on safe mode. Although I have automatic update on usually so I think I have most of the recent updates.

I guess there is no option for me except to format? I have 2 separate hard drives: C: I use for programs and Windows and D: for my games and other files. The drives are 150GB each, I have only about 24GBs left on D: and about 86GBs on C:. Should I install XP on D:, format C: then move everything to C: and format D:?

I always assumed the problem was with applications/services as everything works perfectly on safemode but I guess it's very difficult to identify the problem and it would be fixed either way with a format?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments/help so far^^

//Ibanez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom