Help choosing cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven01

Solid State Member
Hi, I plan on building a pc and was planning on buying a intel pentium 4 3.0 ghz cpu for my new system. But, then I thought twice about what people were saying about how I should go for a AMD cpu instead. I was wondering which cheapest AMD cpu can equal or exceed the speed and performance of the intel pentium 4 3.0ghz cpu? Thanks.

IIRC, the AMD 3000+ and higher chips are supposed to be equal to the Intel 3.0ghz cpu's

AMD is taking over the market. It has more to offer to the average consumer I'd go with AMD. I also heard that the 3200 was on par with the 3.2Ghz Pentium 4.

Tyler1989 said:
AMD is taking over the market. It has more to offer to the average consumer I'd go with AMD. I also heard that the 3200 was on par with the 3.2Ghz Pentium 4.

It IS. In regular tasks that is. Gaming isn't a regular task. Check out the comparisons in BF2 that I posted above.

I hate to say it tyler, but AMD isn't taking over the CPU market.

AMD does have better processors for gamers and their new dual cores and opterons are benchmarked and proven to out performance almost all of intels CPU's. But, when it comes to $$$ & Market Share... Intel still holds AMD in the palm of it's hand.

It's really funny because when I purpose to use an Athlon 3200+ in a custom build for a client, they always look at me and say, "a what?" Why not a P4? And I have to spend 10 minutes explaining why.

I'd say a huge majority of PC users don't even know that AMD exists. A lot of people confuse a CPU as simply being a Pentium Processor. They don't realize that there is another CPU maker on this planet.

How many Intel Commercials vs. AMD commercials do you see on TV?

Not to mention "DELL" only sells intel... Actually they are subcontracting "AMD" systems at customer request to a small taiwanese company... They won't even build them theirselves.. Because they can't because they are under a long contract with Intel to only use their CPU's. That stands true for a lot of OEM companies.

It's sad but true.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I'd say a huge majority of PC users don't even know that AMD exists.

Before I got into hardware (basically before summer this year) I didn't know about ANY AMD processors. I used to be excited at the prospect of getting a 2.0GHz Celeron. Thats how the brain of someone that doesn't know about computers works, more or less. The first time I heard about AMD was back when 3.4GHz P4s came out. I used to ask my dad if AMDs were good processors. He'd say they were but he didn't know how good (I guess he didn't know about the naming scheme). I thought the 3200+ @ 2.0GHz sucked ass compared to that 2.6GHz P4 desktop going for the same price, lol.

I hate myself for that. Self, you were a freakin dipshit. Keep your mouth (and brain) shut when you don't know what you're talking about.

^^ First self-flame on the internet?

I've always perfered AMD CPU's over intel for about 6 years all the way back to my compaq with a k7 slot CPU and it is still running to this day.Even my notebook is AMD.Dell is selling AMD CPU's on their website.Maybe its a sign that their is a chance they may start selling them normaly, but still I wouldnt buy a dell. Hp sells them in their pre-made systems.

Hey bro, it all depends on what you want to do...for some people intel chips are better...for others AMD's are better...its all about what you want....if you want a KICK ASS gaming pc go with the AMD 64 4000+...over clock it to match the FX-57 :-D save yourself 400 bones ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom