I need some hardcore EXPERT help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skillz77

Solid State Member
Alright -- I'm a senior in high school right now and kind of as a graduation present my parents are going to fund me in my quest to build a new 'State-Of-The-Art' Dream Gaming PC! So, I'm coming to various Computer Tech forums hoping that someone might be willing to help me accomplish what I need. I know alot about computers and programming, as I have always done things with them since I was in middle school, so I have the general idea and I'm not some illeterate moron. So, I haven't been given a budget yet but I'm thinking it's somewhere around $1500. I want to exclude a monitor, as that is something pricy I can find elsewhere and keep all of my funds to the specs under the case. If anyone would like to help me, send me an e-mail or AIM me or reply to this message and let me know. I'd really appreciate it and once you contact me, we'll talk business (i.e. money involved). Thanks again and just let me know.

AIM: forthePlayy
E-mail: NStowe8@hotmail.com

-Skillz77

Welcome!

I'm not the expert in building, but I'm hoping that they give advice on here so we can all benefit from the advice given.

Let us know how it goes.

Dave :D

Yeah, once I work it out with whoever is willing to help - I will post what I have learned on this thread as we go through it so everyone can benefit.

Totally off-topic:

Oxymoron of the day: "I'm not some illeterate moron" - I love it. :D

Anyway, I've never built my own computer but I'm hoping to this summer so I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have to say too.

i myself am a junior in High school, and have built my own computer, although i probably couldn't build it for you since i live in NH, but i can help with the design, if that is also something that you are looking for.

I've built my last 4 computers, since I was a senior in high school (I'm now a 3rd year law student) - I like to keep my pc up to date.

First...Good case! I have a Coolermaster ATCS201 Aluminum case (4 case fans) So far it has been great

Second...Mobo and Processor...if you want the best go with the P4EE 3.2 and an Asus P4C800 deluxe mobo, IMO it is the best.

Third...RAM...I recommend at least 2 sticks of 512MB PC3200 (3500 is a waste because the fastest bus speed out now is 800Mhz and the pc3200 in dual mode give you exactly that so you dont waste ram speed or cpu cycles = super efficient) Either Kingston or Corsair are the best, opinions vary, I use Kingston Hyper-X.

Fourth...HDD...I love Maxtor...go with two 250GB Maxblast 9 SATA drives in RAID mode! Sweet, I wish I had that :) They have 7200RPM and 150SATA (not native but still the fastest out there for the drive space)

Fifth...Video Card... I like Nvidia so I would wait and go with the NV40 that should be out in April or March...so pick up a cheap card to last you until then...Geforce 4ti 4800 or the like, keep it cheap or wait because the NV40 is gonna rock (and it will be $500 bucks)

Sixth...Sound Card... I love the Audigy 2 I have from Creative...LOVE IT...BUY IT :)

Seventh...Speakers... I have some Klipsch Ultra 5.1... they rock, nice dual 8.5" sub and sweet satilites, really recommend them.

And that should do it...it wont be cheap but it will be the best on the block...I'd say a good 3 grand at least :)

CPU: 3.2ghz P4 HT 800FSB

Mobo: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith or ASUS P4C800 Deluxe

RAM: 2x 512mb DDR400

HD: Any 80gb or 120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache thing will do

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro($250) or go crazy and get the ATI Radeon 9800XT($500)

Sound Card: Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum ZS

Speakers: Logitech Z480

Should be a good baseline for ya;)

Skillz77 said:
Alright -- I'm a senior in high school right now and kind of as a graduation present my parents are going to fund me in my quest to build a new 'State-Of-The-Art' Dream Gaming PC! So, I'm coming to various Computer Tech forums hoping that someone might be willing to help me accomplish what I need. I know alot about computers and programming, as I have always done things with them since I was in middle school, so I have the general idea and I'm not some illeterate moron. So, I haven't been given a budget yet but I'm thinking it's somewhere around $1500. I want to exclude a monitor, as that is something pricy I can find elsewhere and keep all of my funds to the specs under the case. If anyone would like to help me, send me an e-mail or AIM me or reply to this message and let me know. I'd really appreciate it and once you contact me, we'll talk business (i.e. money involved). Thanks again and just let me know.

is Georgia located in the US? if so you would be talking $1500 US right?

what you might try to do is to get 'next to the best' parts so you get a good price on it. this is the sort of thing I'd get:

CPU + board: AMD64 (not FX) would be good to get, along with an MSI K8T Neo board.

video card: the 9600XT is a very descent card which performs fairly close to the 9800's

RAM: 2x512MB DDR400 - from a good brand like Corsair Micro, because you might end up replacing your RAM later if you don't

HD: Seagate 120GB 8MB buffer.

everybody's opinion is different, but it's the sort of thing I'd get

Thanks for all of your replies. I am speaking to a couple of guys hopefully on AIM. I guess I really just need more specifics. I don't know what alot of this means and I only have so much money to spend. What is each thing and how do I tell if it is good? I can get help building my computer by one of my AP Computer Science buddies in school, but I guess the main thing is finding good parts that will make my computer run well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom