Win98 Users Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvosder

Baseband Member
Here's my situation, I had Windows 98 running on my machine all fine and dandy. Then one day i'm cleaning the house and find my XP cd that i've been looking for for ages. All excited I install it to the c:\WINXP folder so I could keep 98 for old games in the c:\windows directory. Windows XP works fine, and as far as I can tell my Win98 installation is still there. Took me a bit but I figured out that what XP did was delete Windows 98 from the boot.ini file. So really all I need to fix my computer is for a Win98 user to copy and paste their default boot.ini settings here. To view the boot.ini file, go to Start>Run and type "boot.ini" without the quotes. Thanks :)

if u upgraded to ntfs format then u might have trouble reading from a win9x os.

he should still have a boot screen at startup to choose the OS to boot into,,

my guess is ,, follow the instructions on a Dual Boot machine,,

You may have to reinstall to correct the issue entirely,,

cheers

Are you sure XP deleted your windows directory? I would try this find out where the fast detect option is in XP. I will post that later, but that might help you change which OS you want to boot.

the best way to set up a dual boot machine would be to partition your hard disk with a prog like partition magic than install each o/s on a different partition

but like said before if your using 98 and xp both drives would have to use fat32 not ntfs for 98 to be able to read the partition xp is installed on.

Well, both OS's are on the C: FAT32 Partition, and I know that you can dual-boot using the same partition. All Windows XP did was delete 98 from the boot.ini file so that no boot menu appears. Windows 98 is still there all fine and dandy. So really all I need is someone who knows the operating system line for Windows 98. I read in another forum that it might be c:\windows="Microsoft Windows" so i'll try that and get back to you later.

if there are no changes to partition information, all you need to do is add this to the boot.ini file:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Microsoft Windows 98." /fastdetect

at least I think that is all it needs...

Ok DO this Go To Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, then there will be a groupbox that says Startup and Recovery click settings. A new form will opne up then you will see a combo box at the top that says *"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect* Change that to something like give me an option or something.

The51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom