Cheap gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
Well, my friend just called me and said he is getting a desktop PC for Christmas. He said no to building so it comes down to ordering one, but it has to be able to play games, and it has to cost less than $800. He knows he wont be able to play games on the highest settings, but it has to be decent. Oh yeah he doesent want to order it from a gaming place like voodoo. I have been looking around for him and have found this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tCategoryId=pcmcat2300050006&id=1124431830866

And then in a few months he'll add at least a 6600 gt. How does that look? Do you have any better suggestions? And does anyone know if compaq takes their expansion slots/agp slots out? Thanks!

What do you mean no gaming sites like voodoo? Like, he couldn't buy one at monarchcomputer.com and have it assembled for him?

Dont buy that Compaq please!!! That video card in that thing barely does Microsoft Word.....

Yes, beware the upgradabilty of the Compaqs/Dells/HPs out there...

Use monarch, look at this aewsome system:

Trotter said:
I don't know what your total cost is on that system, but I just came across a really sweet deal from Monarch Computers.

* Antec Sonata II
*DFI NF4 SLI Infinity
* AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (OEM)(939)
* AMD Certified 64/FX/Opteron Heatsink
* 1 GB (2 pcs 512) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair (VS1GBKIT400)
* Western Digital Caviar SE 160 GB SATA3G 8MB Cache 7200 RPM (WD1600JS)
* NEC ND-3540A 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW (Black) (OEM)
* eVGA GeForce 6800 GS 256MB
(No operating system)

$859 + $59 FedEx Ground

Not too bad a price, but...

* (Buy Windows, $89+) - Complimentary Roundtrip Airfare for 2 with purchase of lodging and up to $780 in software! (Link on the site for details)
* Half-Life 2
* Livestrong Bracelet
* Patriot 128MB SD Flash USB kit
* BONUS 1 Yr. Subscription to Maximum PC
* your choice of a GIFT with PURCHASE! (pen or lanyard)

Too bad all I'm getting is a lump of coal this year.

Check out their site for the low down on it.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?postid=624511#post624511

Just go to monarch and build one to his price range/specs. cheers.

He doesn't have the time, thats too expensive, and it has to have a monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse, so with all of that it will be WAY too expensive

Then get anyold prebuilt, you have already made up your mind. Too bad theres this timeline issue, he'll regret it later, but whatever...

Come on guys I know it's not a good idea but he's dead set on a prebuilt, so what company is the best? HP, Compaq, Dell (/shudders), eMachines (/shudders again)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom