Monitor(s) for gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since your willing to spend 300 bucks on a monitor I say go ahead and get a good LCD. But I still think CRTs are better for the price. Maybe it's just my eyes but my eyes aren't bothered by CRTs and I use both CRTs and LCDs.

"Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD" it's the first LCD i've owned.

I've had about 4 CRT's in my time and this LCD is my favorite monitor out of all of them.

For gaming, movies, everything... Google it. The reviews are extremely high across the board...

Although... It's around $349 - God it's worth it.

CRT all the way. Lets compare.

CTR 0 ms cant get naybetter than that.

CTR dont need contrast ratios.

A Really good CTr cost less then a avarage LCD(which u dont want).

Gamin in CTR is better. I played Halo on a lcd dont the specs or model i just played. I could see a tariling effect on it. I thought it was the game but now i know that is was the fact the the monitor is a LCD.

u can change the resolution to anything in CTR(provided is supported by the video card) and still look good.

CTR would last for ages just like CTR TV do.

Do your self a favor and a CTR monitor and use the extra money for something like a video card or ram or cpu.

efd753 said:
CRT all the way. Lets compare.

CTR 0 ms cant get naybetter than that.

CTR dont need contrast ratios.

A Really good CTr cost less then a avarage LCD(which u dont want).

Gamin in CTR is better. I played Halo on a lcd dont the specs or model i just played. I could see a tariling effect on it. I thought it was the game but now i know that is was the fact the the monitor is a LCD.

u can change the resolution to anything in CTR(provided is supported by the video card) and still look good.

CTR would last for ages just like CTR TV do.

Do your self a favor and a CTR monitor and use the extra money for something like a video card or ram or cpu.

That is some of the most uneducated blind fanboyism ranting I have ever seen. Most people like you, including yourself, have never played on a good LCD. If you played on an older LCD or one of the ones that come in retail computer bundles, yes, you will notice ghosting. However, I compared my LCD and my CRT side by side and I noticed little difference in Doom 3 and Quake 4 between the LCD and CRT. No ghosting at all. Plus, when I got my LCD, I felt so good because my constant headaches went away.

I will give you the resolution thing. A CRT wins in that aspect, andI think LCD makers need to address this issue, because once it is addressed, there will be no viable reason to choose a CRT over an LCD. Scaling between 1280x1024 and 1024x768 is a lot better on a 17" LCD due to the decreased size of the pixel pitch.

QUOTE:"1. The maximum resolution for an LCD monitor is 1280x1024 regardless of the size of the monitor screen."

Not true, it really depends on the size of the lcd

Native Resolution
Unlike CRT monitors, LCD monitors display information well at only the resolution they are designed for, which is known as the native resolution. Digital displays address each individual pixel using a fixed matrix of horizontal and vertical dots. If you change the resolution settings, the LCD scales the image and the quality suffers. Native resolutions are typically:

17 inch = 1024x768
19 inch = 1280x1024
20 inch = 1600x1200

and my 20.1" lcd recomended resolution is 1680x1050

not1available.jpg

If you have an LCD with a big native resolution like 1600x1200 your entire PC has to be capable of running games in that resolution if you want it to look good.

Why do you hate LCDs so much TheMajor? Anybody who actually uses a good LCD loves it. The bad thing is there is a lot of crap out there, such as the LCDs that come with computer bundles, which are generally not good.

I remember you flamed me when I got my LCD.

And yes, like I already said, I will give you the resolution thing. However, if you have a good graphics card, being as the most popular resolution is 1280x1024, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a poor graphics card, you may want to consider a 15" or 17" LCD instead of a big 19" or larger.

I hate to tell you this, but CRTs will be phased out within the next 10 years. A lot of retail stores have already quit carrying them.

beedubaya said:
Why do you hate LCDs so much TheMajor? Anybody who actually uses a good LCD loves it. The bad thing is there is a lot of crap out there, such as the LCDs that come with computer bundles, which are generally not good.

I remember you flamed me when I got my LCD.

And yes, like I already said, I will give you the resolution thing. However, if you have a good graphics card, being as the most popular resolution is 1280x1024, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a poor graphics card, you may want to consider a 15" or 17" LCD instead of a big 19" or larger.

I hate to tell you this, but CRTs will be phased out within the next 10 years. A lot of retail stores have already quit carrying them.

I don't hate them. They look nice. I am just wondering why people buy LCD's if there's a cheaper AND better alternative. Why pay 3 times as much for a monitor just because it looks stylish and modern? If you have 1 dead pixel you're screwed with some brands.

Unless you get bad headaches from your CRT, or really don't have any space on your desk, you should stick with CRT.

A monitor with only a single resolution is like a car with only one gear. My dads GF recently got a small LCD. I told her to switch to 1024x768 cause it looks terrible at 800x600. That's how you get headaches.

If CRT's get phased out in 10 years I will probably buy an LCD myself cause they will be better. Maybe plasma, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom