loading problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknownerror

Beta member
My friends computer will load up until it gets to the windows xp loading screen and then it will just hang there. I was able to get him into msdos and run check disk, I had him do chkdsk/r and it worked up until it hit 75% then it just hung there. He doesn't really want to format his hd because he has some school work and stuff on there that he doesn't want to lose. I know the computer is running windows xp but I am not sure if it is home or professional. I am not sure of the specs but if you need them I can find out ... This is what I do know, the computer is only a few months old and it is custom built. Thanks for any advice in advanced.

Find his install disk, (OS Disk), and run a repair from there.

I would acess the drive on another computer, put it in as slave and back up the data just in case you gotta reformat.

I did the repair feature with the os disk and thats how I was able to get him into msdos (command prompt). Thats were it got stuck at the 75% when I had him run the check disk. I will try making it a slave on another computer and see what I can recover for him. Thank you. If anyone else knows something else I could try I would appreciate it.

If a repair can't fix it then its better to just back up data and reformat he will appreciate a clean OS anyways.

What broswer does he use?

What Anti spyware and Anti Virus programs does he use?

That is true I know I always love a clean install and stuff. I don't know what virus scanner or anti-spyware scanner he uses, might be spybot search & destroy. As for browsing the web I think he might just use IE ... not really to sure on that one either ... I will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom