p4 building prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

ik097

Solid State Member
hi ive just recently built my first pc. i purchased everything new and i have coneccted everything for which i think perfectly.

spec: p4 3.0 on an asus motherboard with 512 mem.

anyways the problem is when i start it up it powers on for about 4 seconds then switchs of again!!!
is there a jumper i need to change settings to or is the psu busted.. i cant figure out how to sort it. can anyone help.. cheers

Make sure the memory is seated properly. Do you get a picture on your monitor? Make sure graphics card is seated properly. Check all cables. Temporarely remove all unneccesary devices like expansion cards, CD-ROM drives etc.

You could also try clearing your BIOS. Check your manual for instructions.

like the major said, clearing CMOS might help (sorry to be picky major but its cmos not bios, id be worried if he did actually clear his bios). if that 512mb of memory is in 2x256mb sticks try only using one at a time.

edit: it just occured to me that it could be an overheating issue. you did use thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink right? if you did did you follow the directions EXACTLY because you should never deviate from the instructions and assume that more is better.

thanks for all the information guys.. i did use the thermal paste on cpu.. so i reckon the power supply that came with the case might be naf, but cant return it as ive had it for over a month,

The memory is a one stick 512mb. ive re checked all the connections to the motherboard from the psu but everything i can think of seems properly connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom