When I click on the "my computer" icon............

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkf76

My Swag is on!
it takes forever and a day to show the drives, the flashlight icon shows up indicating it's looking for them and finally after about 5-10 seconds they'll appear. Is there anything I can do to decrease the time it takes for that to appear? The machine has a 2.2ghz cpu w/512mb RAM. My computer is 697mhz and only has 320mb RAM and only takes maybe a second to pop up, what gives?

Ste said:
how often do you preform disk defragmenter and disk clean up?

What Anti virus program and what anti spyware programs?
I bought it used, disk defragmenter has never been done as far as I know. Maybe that'll be a good start, I'll do that tonight. I did the disk cleanup already. I don't know of any AV or SW programs are installed, the machine has yet to see the internet as far as I know.

Alright, I did the defrag, disk cleanup and manually removed/uninstalled any and all unwanted/unneeded programs, restarted the computer.....still takes forever and a day to show the drives when I double click on the "my computer" icon. It's more like 15-20 seconds. But once they pop up, I can double click on any drive and the next window pops up quickly as it should. I'm at a loss.........

BTW, it's XP Home SP1

How many processes are you running at once? Maybe you should post your HiJackThis Log, people MIGHT help you figure out whats wrong with it.

mine takes awhile because I have an ipod that it needs to recognize. when I unplug it, it loads faster

RockyZ said:
How many processes are you running at once? Maybe you should post your HiJackThis Log, people MIGHT help you figure out whats wrong with it.
good question, I don't know because it's a setup I bought used. But I'll look into it. Also, what's my "HiJackThis" log?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom