Unreal Engine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intrepreting and reaching a conclusion based on a beta release is not a very accurate way of determining whether a product is good or bad...it's a beta for a reason

gaara said:
Intrepreting and reaching a conclusion based on a beta release is not a very accurate way of determining whether a product is good or bad...it's a beta for a reason

Very True.

As far as Windows Vista Goes... Meh... I have all the neat GUI things i could ever ask for with "Windowblinds, Desktop X, WinFX and about 12 other Stardock programs." You wouldn't even know my PC is running windows the way i've got it set up.

003 said:
It has severely crippled OpenGL support

Last thing I heard on the grapevine about the whole "OpenGL limitations in Vista" hoopla was that it only applys to the given OGL app running in Windowed mode, whereas in fullscreen mode normal performance will apply. Seeing as 90% of us run our games in fs, I can't see this as a problem anymore.

Plus, I believe UE3.0 uses the DX API so that wouldn't even be an issue (unless MS decide to drop support for their current implentation that is DX9.0x, which is unlikely imho).

003 said:
it has moved away from hardware accelerated audio

Now this does interest me, could you provide a source for this?

gaara said:
it's a beta for a reason

Exactly.

DoomUK said:
Last thing I heard on the grapevine about the whole "OpenGL limitations in Vista" hoopla was that it only applys to the given OGL app running in Windowed mode, whereas in fullscreen mode normal performance will apply. Seeing as 90% of us run our games in fs, I can't see this as a problem anymore.

Plus, I believe UE3.0 uses the DX API so that wouldn't even be an issue (unless MS decide to drop support for their current implentation that is DX9.0x, which is unlikely imho).

Now this does interest me, could you provide a source for this?
No it's for all opengl apps. You can fix it by installing nvidia forceware or ati catalyst, but if you do that, you can't use the cool gui effects. not that I really care. unfourtantly I do not have a source for the hardware audio thing, I read it in some computer magazine a while back.

No, microsoft is going to keep it that way. They are trying to eliminate opengl, so game makers only make games in D3D, so people will be forced to play on windows and not linux or mac. not an issue for me however as I will not be getting vista.

Why does one need a new video card and a physx card. I thought that the new physX cards are the new video cards.

No, the PhysX cards are seperate. Atleast for now.

Anyone wanna take a guess on the PhysX card? $200?

WWS said:
Why does one need a new video card and a physx card. I thought that the new physX cards are the new video cards.

No, it takes off the stress of physics on the CPU allowing it to have very realistic physics (including liquid and smoke/gas) and not bottleneck the GPU. If you have very intense physics going on like in some of their demos it causes the CPU to have a lot more things to process and since the GPU has to wait until the CPU sends it's info then render it into what we see it can cause it to have to wait longer because it's proccessing all of the AI, physics, and other things and leaves less bandwith for the gpu.

http://www.ageia.com/products/physx.html

they might make GPUs with PPUs integrated into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom