Computer resets while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigairman

Beta member
Hopefully someone has heard of this happening, and knows an easy fix. Okay, here is the issue. I just purchased Doom 3, and finally have got time to play it. The only problem is, when about 30 minutes into it, my computer resets (out of nowhere). If I try to restart, and play again, the same thing happens.

For a little background, I purchased my computer from an online dealer about 1 year ago. It was custom built, and exceeds all system requirements for the game. My only thought is that the power supply cant handle everything.

Thoughts....???

or it could be a heat issue what type of temps are you getting while gamming? generally a suddent restart is heat related. How clean is the inside of the case? might want to take a can of compressed air and blow it out and make dure all of the cables are out of the way to incurage air flow. also you can try running the game with the case open to see if you can play longer. that would confirm the heat issue.

computers restarts by its own sometimes because the the CPU or GPU exceeds its temperature limit. once it has, it starts "counting". by that, i mean it starts recording the temperature in the next 5 seconds or so. if it stays overheated, it will reboot or shut down. i personally hope it's the CPU that's overheating because GPU will most likely bring up a BSOD along with driver errors. it ain't fun to fix it...

Here are my system specs:

Mainboard : ECS (M935D)
Chipset : SiS 650
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3066 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce3 Ti 200 [NV20.1]
Hard Disk : IC35L120AVV207-1 (124 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
Monitor Type : ProView Technology PL766s - 17 inchs
Network Card : Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

I also looked at the temps during play, and everything looks fine.

They are probably correct to worry about the CPU temp. I just corrected a sudden reboot problem on my computer by using compressed air to clean off the CPU heatsink. It was covered in dust. Now there is no problem. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom