Sempron 64 vs. The Barton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go for the Sempron 64.
they have a P-rating for a reason. the Sempron 2800+ outperforms the Barton 2500+, plus has 64-bit support.
I've also heard they will get a fair overclock, because they run cool.
oh yeah, Athlon XP's run pretty hot. I had to get a new heatsink for mine.

TheMajor said:
With socket 939 you can run your memory in dual-channel. Huge difference.
Btw,
I didn't say the Barton would outperform the Sempron. I would just wait a few months and get an Athlon :)

i wanna get one by Christmas, and i'm low on dough. I have $550, not a penny more, and i gotta get everything, monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.

Cache makes about .05MHz of difference, and the Socket difference would account for nothing noticeable.
0.05MHz? Don't think so, to give you an average number doubling the cache size should roughly give performance benefits equal to about 200MHz AMD clock cycles...of course it depends on the actual processes in question but it's nowhere near as insignificant as 0.05MHz

Sempron 64 will clearly edge out an Athlon XP in memory bandwidth as they'll have the integrated memory controllers same as other AMD64s...but that's not to say the Athlon XP won't be able to keep up in raw power

i'm just gonna do a ton of 3D animation, rendering etc, and a lot of photoshop texturing too, and a few games. I think i'll be good enough, thanks guys!!:) ;)

gaara said:
0.05MHz? Don't think so, to give you an average number doubling the cache size should roughly give performance benefits equal to about 200MHz AMD clock cycles...of course it depends on the actual processes in question but it's nowhere near as insignificant as 0.05MHz

My Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.7 is side by side with a FX-55, which has twice the cache. I already explained the testing I did to find that out. I assumed that because its half the cache the difference would be half as much, but I guess that was a bad guess. No more than .1GHz though. My 3200+ was actually a TINY bit better than the FX-55 (same exact rest of the system) in 3 benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom