Monitor(s) for gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
I used to have that CRT. CRTs are better for gaming, but thats it. Outside of games, LCDs are far superior. I was comparing them side-by-side the other day when considering going back to a CRT. In games, an LCD CAN look better or equal, you just have to get one with a response time of 8ms or less and also a contrast ratio of 800:1 or higher. Also, try to get an 8-bit LCD panel and not a 6-bit one.

beedubaya, I'm glad I read your post! I am doing a new build and I have been going back and forth between CRT and LCD. After reading what you wrote I have settled on the LCD. I understand about the response time of 8ms as being important. However, I didn't know about the 8-bit panel as compared to the 6-bit nor was I aware of the need for a contrast ration of 800:1 or higher.

Where would I find these numbers under specs? In other words, do they use a certain terminology to give this information, or is it simply entitled "contrast ratio" and "panel bits" (or some such)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112173

This is the cheapest one I can find (don't know if it is 6 bit or 8 bit), although I never heard of Sceptre...

Just in your price range. I say 19' LCDs aren't worth the money. I have both in my house (i have crappy old CRT and my stepdad has a new LCD) and the benifits of the LCD doesn't justify the price compared to a CRT. It is easier to see text but not by much and this is on my old CRT. And changing the resolution outside of the native resolution makes it look distorted.

Untill it gets cheaper to make LCDs I say stick with a CRT for gaming.

That Sceptre is indeed an 8 bit which is really good for that price. You can tell if its 6 bit or 8 bit by the number of colors its advertised to display, 16.7 million colors would be 8 bit. If its 16.2 million colors, that is deceptive because its 6 bit and can actually only display 260,000 colors. Most 19" LCDs you will find for under $400 will be 6-bit. In most cases, you can't tell the difference with the naked eye, but in some games like FEAR, you will notice slight color banding on a 6-bit LCD.

Back on CRT vs. LCD, like I said, get a CRT if gaming is the ONLY thing you plan on doing with your PC. Outside of games, a CRT looks dull and washed out compared to a good LCD. I went out and proved it this weekend, because I was considering going back to a CRT because of how everybody raves about them for gaming.

A great number of gamers are CRT fanatics who have never had the chance to use a good LCD. Sure, there are a few advantages CRTs have in gaming such as resolution changing and deeper blacks, but the issue with blacks is easily offset by getting an LCD with a good contrast ratio. The resolution issue is one area where a CRT wins hands down, LCD makers haven't addressed this issue yet, but they probably will in the future. With the newer LCDs with 8ms or less response time, the CRT doesn't have near as big of an advantage in games. Plus, it takes less space, looks nicer, and is much easier on the eyes.

I have the Sceptre mentioned above...it's my first LCD after years of being one of those CRT fanatics. I love it, and have no regrets whatsover about switching. Judging from the ratings, Newegg buyers seem to agree pretty unanimously.

Don't listen to TheMajor on this issue. He is knowledgable about a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. That pixel pitch is awesome for an LCD. A lot of them are .29.

Also, about the 6-bit or 8-bit thing, thats bits per pixel, not the same as 16 or 24 bit color.

TheMajor said:
That Samsung LCD has 0.20 pitch.

No, my Samsung 997DF CRT was .20mm dot pitch. This LCD is .29 pitch. Most LCDs are .29 or .26. CRTs always have lower pixel pitch because the pixels are projected by the tube, wheras an LCD has physical pixels.

You need to learn more about LCDs before you start trying to teach people about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom