Help! Remount HD problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

trsone

Beta member
I bought a new hard drive, copied all my files from my primary hd onto it, formatted the primary, installed XP to the primary- then went to my primary slave (the new WD 250 gig HD) to retrieve my important, backed up files and xp tells me that it isn't formated- i can't retreive ANY of the files! i called western digital today and stayed on the line for hours, until finally they told me that when formatting slave drives, i must dismount the drive before i reformat my primary. they told me that since i didn't do that, i would have to contact microsoft in order to try and find some software that will "remount" this new hard drive without corrupting the data files. i tried calling microsoft today, but after sitting on the line for ages i gave up...does anyone know how i can "remount " this drive?! is there a utility that can do this without deleting my important files?!!?!? some one please help, i haven't been in a computer situation this bad in years! thank you,

marty

Partion magic should be able to but I havent been faced with this before.I know it can do a lot with a drive and not harm data. Like extend a160 gig drive that is reading 120 gig by XP.Or partioning a drive that all rdy has partion's.

That dosent seem right . Cause ive had 2 differnt drives with operating system's running C and D.Could look into ether drive.I didnt have them on Master and slave jumper's but Cable select and just had the main drive hooked into IDE 1 and the Burner and other drive in IDE 2.Maybe its a NFTS thing.Luck maybe someone fixxed this before will jump in.

I disagree .. i don't think Partion Magic is the right tool to use here ...

Anywayz .. do this ..

Right Click on My Computer>Click Manage

Now in the new window which pops up .. Disk Management
Now Right Click on ur New drive n' select Import Foriegn Disks

That's it .. it will let u choose a drive letter etc .. n' ur disk is useable

preet2u- I tried that but "Import Foreign Disks" isn't an option...

deadguy- I tried partition magic, it sees this disk as "bad"...

i'm thinking i might have to purchase some type of data restore program like Restoration...but its outrageous!

thanks for tryin though- anybody else got ideas!?

SOMEONE HELP! A local place wants to charge me 300 dollars to get this information back! ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom