So regretting buying an Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotic115

In Runtime
I bought a new Sony Media Center with Pentium D 830 and then when I get home, I find an article on Cnet.com talking about a test between AMD and Intel's processors. ******* it, AMD's cheaper processors were better than the best Intel ones. I couldn't believe what I was reading but now I was like WTF? So yeah anyway, I was wondering if I wanted to, can I switch the processor or can you only do that when you make your own custom computer?

Well you can switch your processor with another Intel one that your motherboard supports. If you want to go AMD, you'll have to get another motherboard that supports AMD processors.

You'd need to change the Proccessor, RAM, motherboard, actually just about everything besides the video card(unless it's AGP, then you might want to go PCI express instead since AGP leads you into a dead end upgrade-wise)

You can either stick with it(and, it's not really that bad) or try sending it back and saying that you were absolutely not satisfied by it

aw dammit...guess I can't change it. Thanks anyway. Oh and are motherboards specifically made for either intel or either amd?

yeah, but after that, there's also sockets.

Like 754 socket AMD motherboards and socket 939 AMD motherboards.

and, the reason why your RAM wont work with an AMD mobo is because Intel uses DDR2(Which is 240 pin), while AMD uses DDR1(Which is 184 pin)

Media center? Hmm, well it really depends. Well if you mean like and ACTUAL media center PC, then you are probably using it for watching TV, and watching media. If all you're going to surf the web to download media to watch, and to watch TV/DVD, you might get better performance from a intel processor.

AMD is for gaming, and well everything that has to do with pure CPU power. Like I said before, it really depends what you're using your computer for.

Different socket CPUs will NOT work on the same mothboard. You have to buy the specific motherboard that supports the CPU socket. The smartest thing to do is to build your own computer, selecting all the parts your want. But yes, in terms of gaming, AMD can destroy any Intel proccessor.

ok well i'm not like those hardcore gamers out there; I'm a console guy. I only recently started playing PC games because my other computer was crap. I haven't had time to use my Media Center but I think it works. I just have to get the wiring down. It's useful for saving T.V. shows, which I really want to do; there's hardly any time left for TV anymore. I just like to dl stuff and run programs like converters and video players.

Anyway I played Call of Duty 2 and it was really fun so I got it for this comp. It wasn't as horrible as they said it was but not like crazy good. When they compare graphics, by good, do they mean like extremely good with PCI 16? Maybe my view of good graphics is not as demanding.

Well, If you're content with how the PC you bought performs, don't even sweat that article.

It isn't that AGP is bad or anything, but nVidia and ATi are focusing completely on PCI express now. But, you don't really seem like the type that likes to upgrade parts really frequently, so that PC should do you pretty well.

well my vid card is an ATI X300; i think it's around average but i heard ppl on this forum don't like it too much. oh another questions lol; i have another computer which is a little older (like a year or so). It's an HP computer with a gig of ram and pentium 4 and i think the graphics card is intel express chipset family. Anyway, what kind of graphics cards can you upgrade it to? And can you upgrade the Pentium 4 to a Pentium D?

Yeah, video card isn't that great, but X300s are PCI express(AFAIK), so you can always upgrade it if isn't satisfying you in the future.

About the HP: Depends on what type of slot it uses, could use PCI Express(doubt it), AGP(maybe), or PCI(Probably.). I had an old HP myself and was only stuck with PCI.

To go from Pentium 4 -> Pentium D, you'd need a new motherboard, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom