New Build - Coments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytesailor

Beta member
Hi all, I'm new here...
I'm making myself a new comp. I've done a bit of research but I'd like to know what you guys think (prices in CAN$):

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 - $426.44

MB: DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert ATX S939 - $251.54

VC: EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT CO PCI-E 256MB -$430.92

RAM: OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink - $324.23

HDs (I'm gonna put 'em in RAID): Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB x 2 - $223.44ea

Case: AeroCool CoolView ATX Tower Case - $161.24

PSU: Hiper Type R 580W ATX12V V2 24/20 Pin Blue Power Supply - $149.98

DVD: NEC ND-3540A DVD+RW 16X8X16X DVD-RW 16X6X16X Dual LAYER - $61.92

Floppy: PANASONIC SILVER 1.44MB 3.5IN - $10.50

Total Cost - $2,263.65

I think thats it... I have a monitor, mouse, etc. I will be playing games and encoding DVDs. I'm gonna try to OC, but I need to learn a bit more about it. So let me know what you think, thanks.

Just got my 3800 X2 installed this weekend and I love it. That system should be able to run any game/app without breaking a sweat. With my system specs below I run Counter Strike Source with everything on high (and I mean everything even HDR) and get 100-150 FPS (never dropping below 90 even in fire fights). Right now I have my 3800+ overclocked to 2.2 GHz (220 X 10) running @ 33C idle and 40-42 load. Over winter break im going to try to go for 2.4-2.5.

Well just about everything looks great, except for that PSU. Remember , watts isn't everything. For PSU's, it's generally excepted to stick with OCZ, Antec, or Fortron. Those happen to be the best. Never heard of Hiper Type before, which usually isn't good.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155
That's what i've got and it's flawless. Plenty of power to supply to your system.

Everything looks good except the PSU like ricball said, "Although, I wouldn't recommend modular power supplies." Take a look at Antec, Seasonic or if you've got the cash, PCP&C

Thanks for the PSU info, I'll look into that a bit more. Tho, all the reviews for the Hiper were positive...

Anyway, another question, Should I get WinXP 64? I heard that theres lots of driver isues, are my components 64bit compatible? Would there be much difference between XP64 and the old XP pro?

Oh, also, the MB doesn't have SATA 2, should I choose a different board? I know its not an issue with the drives I've selected, but what about future upgrades?

Thanks again

I thought that hiper was a really good brand of psu makers.
Just get windows XP 32bit (regular) I dont think that there will me much difference between reg and 64bit, because not many programs are written for it yet (i think).

Win 64 really isn't worth it at this point. The driver issues are endless, and i've heard about a lot of unsatisfied customers. I'd hold off on win 64 until the future if you REALLY want to get it, win Pro will do you a lot better at this stage in the game. That mobo is as good as it gets, i wouldn't switch it out. you should be fine for a long time with those parts.

i heard the hiper psu's are good, a lot of canadians or was it UK people recommend it, i believe Ste. does too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom