Image tearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
I recently got a new monitor, a Hyundai l72s monitor (lcd with 8 ms, 700:1 contrast ratio). My friend has it and I tried it, it works great for games. My annoyance is image tearing where it looks like part of the screen is lagging behind the rest. My old crt monitor also had this problem but I was hoping it would go away when I got this lcd. You only ever notice it in first person shooter games. Is this problem normal for all monitors? Or all analog monitors? Or is there a way I can get rid of it? This monitor only supports analog connection, I would have liked one with a digital connection but this one is my favorite for the amount of colors it has.

Mr_Threepwood said:
I recently got a new monitor, a Hyundai l72s monitor (lcd with 8 ms, 700:1 contrast ratio). My friend has it and I tried it, it works great for games. My annoyance is image tearing where it looks like part of the screen is lagging behind the rest. My old crt monitor also had this problem but I was hoping it would go away when I got this lcd. You only ever notice it in first person shooter games. Is this problem normal for all monitors? Or all analog monitors? Or is there a way I can get rid of it? This monitor only supports analog connection, I would have liked one with a digital connection but this one is my favorite for the amount of colors it has.

If it is indeed tearing, turn on "v-sync", (vertical sync) either in game or in your video card settings. That should fix it, worked for me. Cheers.

I know vsync works but Im just wondering if its a problem everyone gets or if it has to do with my monitor or video card.

I think most people do get it but just dont notice/care.

Mr_Threepwood said:
I know vsync works but Im just wondering if its a problem everyone gets or if it has to do with my monitor or video card.

I think most people do get it but just dont notice/care.

I believe its more a problem with the video card. Thats why making an adjustment to the card cures the problem. Yes the ptoblem is fairly common. But some people probably dont notice it, but i sure noticed it with my new lcd as the picture quality was so much better than my CRT. It especially happened for me with HL2 and Bf2.

If turning off v-sync works thats what you need to do. V-Sync should be turned off by default, it should only be on if there is as problem. Make sure to turn it off both for the card and software as one will over ride the other and I can't remember which it is.

When vsync is on it works fine but vsync sucks so I turn it off. Going from 60 to 30 fps in one step looks awful, Id rather bear with the minor tearing that you only really notice if you are paying close attention. Mostly I just wanted to know that its not my monitor thats causing the problem. Down the road I'll upgrade everything but with this same monitor, hopefully that will fix tearing.

killians45 said:
If turning off v-sync works thats what you need to do. V-Sync should be turned off by default, it should only be on if there is as problem. Make sure to turn it off both for the card and software as one will over ride the other and I can't remember which it is.

Turning v-sync on, will cure the tearing, but yes, with a dramatic loss in FPS.

Mr_Threepwood said:
have liked one with a digital connection but this one is my favorite for the amount of colors it has.

Hmmm.... its a tn panel like 96% of all other lcd panels. It has 16.2 million colors like all the rest.

Opps I mean the contrast ratio and brightness. They bring out the colors is what I mean, this one is 700:1 contrast ratio makes colors look very nice. Other lcds ive seen look washed out and blacks look like greys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom