Computer from ibuypower.com - $1000 max budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyr

In Runtime
I put together a build on ibuypower and I need you guys to look it over and make suggestions.

case - NZXT Trinity Black ATX

power supply - NZXT PF-500 500 Watt

processor - Athlon-64 3000+ s939

motherboard - Asus A8N-E nVidia nForce4-Ultra

memory - Corsair-Value or Major Brand 512MB DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module

video card - PCI-Express 16x Nvidia Geforce 6200 with TurboCache supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

hard drive - S-ATA Seagate 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

CD/DVD Burner - NEC ND-3540A Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW

sound - 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

speakers - 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

monitor - ViewSonic 17" VX724 TFT LCD 4 ms

operating system - Windows XP Home

total - $958

My goal with this system is to spend as little as possible while still having it be very upgradable. I'll be using if for general stuff like internet, downloads, burning cd's, and playing older games.

Any thoughts?

If I get the monitor that I want with the system you linked to it will come to like $1100. I could add more ram and up the graphics card on the one from ibuypower and it would be just like the one from cyberpower and it would cost the same too. I just want to spend less than $1000 and I want to get the Vewsonic VX742 monitor.

personally I wouldn't sacrifice computer power for an lcd monitor. I would just get a 17" CRT and then I could have an extra 100 bucks for shipping. But if you want to have to upgrade in a few months be my guest.

p0werslave said:
personally I wouldn't sacrifice computer power for an lcd monitor. I would just get a 17" CRT and then I could have an extra 100 bucks for shipping. But if you want to have to upgrade in a few months be my guest.
Well this is the thing, my desk isn't that big and a 17" CRT will take up a ton of space. I'm not even sure I could fit a keyboard on the desk with a monitor that big. I could get a bigger desk for like $100 but why do that when I could just use that $100 and invest in an LCD instead. See my point?

And I wont have to upgrade this thing for years if I don't want to. I didn't say I was building a machine for playing FEAR on max settings did I? It's just for internet and playing OLD games like Half Life 1 and Red Alert.

So does anyone have anything to say about the build I posted?

It looks pretty good except for the graphics card. You want at least a 6600GT. A $1000 system shouldn't have anything less than a 6600GT IMO, although you do have to include that LCD in the price ..

How much are the speakers? If you could ditch them, a gig of RAM instead of 512mb would be nice too.

thanks for the reply. The speakers are dirt cheap so ditching them wouldnt save much money. I think it would cost about $60 to upgrade to a gig of ram, do you think it is worth it considering I don't care about gaming performance? Same with the graphics card, I just picked the cheapest PCI-E card that I could to save money and maybe will upgrade later.

Oh, you don't care about gaming performance .. yeah, then stick with that graphics card I guess, but the RAM will pretty much be worth it no matter what you do. Is there an option to have no RAM? You can get a gig of Corsair ValueSelect for about $70 off Newegg. I guess it's not that important since you don't care about gaming though. Didn't realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom