Need some quick help before a major purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshC

Baseband Member
I am going to be replacing my Dell laptop ASAP (ordering parts tonight hopefully) and need some opinions to sooth my nerves before spending this much money. Here is what I have come up with:

AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice
Abit KN8 Ultra
eVGA 6800GS 256MB
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB
LITE-ON IDE DVD Burner
Sony Floppy Drive
ANTEC SP400 SMART POWER 2.0 400W
Thermaltake VB1000SNS Silver Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Acer AL1914smd-8 Silver/Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers

Total cost: $1248.61 (I'd like to stay VERY close to this price)

The biggest programs I will be running are AutoCAD and Photoshop. While running these I would still like to be able to use Internet Explorer and a couple of messenger programs without a problem. My laptop can run the Photoshop and AutoCAD but lags a lot (around a minute to switch between any windows).

I'm sure there are a lot of people asking for help like this on here, but I'm really nervous about spending this much money and want to make sure everything seems ok.

Are those the heaviest programs you'll be running?? If so, you can downgrade to a system with much lower specs and save yourself some $cash...

I'm not worried about storage space too much. My laptop has a 10GB HD and I've managed so far, but I will be adding many more programs now that I've got the room. It also has a 700mhz P3 Mobile, and 128MB Ram.

Also at school we are running 2.8 P4's with 512 Ram, and 80GB hard-drives and they do pretty good. Have some lag with more than a couple of programs running.

You don't need 2 gigs of ram. 1.5 at the most. Autocad isn't as heavy as you all think.

Good system. I really like it, and am jealous of your video card.

If I suggested anything, I would save a few dollars and downgrade the processor to a 3200+ and easily overclock it to 3500+ speeds. I have my 3000+ just over 3500+ speeds and it's barely breaking a sweat. Stock cooling...

Ryan

My main concern is having a computer that I won't have to upgrade much anytime soon. I'm a senior in HS now and will being studying engineering or maybe some other computer science in college and want something that will hold up. Right now this set-up would be to get a good starting point.

Does anybody else have any other opinions before I go ordering this stuff?

Yeah. Get 2 hard drives if you can. It'll increase performance. Get like a 20gb and a 60 or 80 or whatever. Put the O/S on one and all your data on the other. Just another option. Or you can just partition one drive.

As well, I always recommend having a dvd rom as well as a burner. I know I hate taking discs in and out and if your doing any burning whatsoever its a lot easier with 2.

Cheers.

Thanks for everybody for their input. I just ordered all my parts. Should be a week before the parts get here and then I'm stuck waiting until Christmas morning before I can actually have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom