3 watercooling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I was wondering about using multiple D5 pumps when I was first setting this up as well...I really did want an iwaki but they didn't have any availible locally

That said, two D5s won't perform anywhere close to as good as a single iwaki...as Nubius mentioned, it isn't 12ft + 12ft since there are certain factors you have to put into consideration

Basic physics, if you put two D5s directly beside each other in a series they're going to bottleneck each other in a sense...the second D5 isn't really speeding up the water any faster than the current flow rate as it can't pump water any faster than the first D5 in the first place, so all it's doing is basically "amplifying" the flow back up to what it was when the water first comes out of the first D5

The other method I came up with was using a Y splitter and having the two D5s in parallel beside each other, and then reconnect using another Y splitter...from what I gathered at XS the pumps actually end up not having enough water to draw from to benefit this setup, and furthermore, when the water comes back through the Y splitter the water from each tube is going to collide and create some more resistance

So basically the best way to benefit from two pumps is to run seperate loops, but it's better to just have one really powerful pump...I'm no expert and have little experience with water so I'm very much a noob on this subject but I know maxxxracer and several others have tested numerous configurations so they would be your best bet for finding answers

Well I don't know where to start. but two D5's in a series would produce 24 ft of head at zero flow (which is what I meant in the emails.) If each pump has 12 feet of head. Although as mentioned before there are many factors to be looked upon. And this is a really tough issue since there isn't any data avaible on dual laing pump as of yet. So in the attchement below there is PQ with a Iwaki he would be looking at and two mcp600's in series which is very close to what two D5's would be. We know that a D5 has little more power with a less restrictive system vs the mcp600. So you could get a rough idea of the PQ curve for two D5's. Which would be slightly above the the dual mcp600's since they can produce more head at a higher flow rate. And the setup he will be using is fairly close to the one tested as far as overall pressure drop from all the comppnents( I think his will have a little more pressure due to the huge rad). He will have more compnents but a cascade is a bottleneck comapared to a TDX.

Nubuis we need to run my Laings and get some data...

EDIT:

All in all I still think a D5 and a 120x2 heatercore would be great... all this thinkingand number crunching hurts my head... :angry:

Attachments

• cascade.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
hey wasup SB :)
What your telling me make sense but Its still a hard decision because its still not clean cut which would work better.

MAXIMILIAN said:
What your telling me make sense but Its still a hard decision because its still not clean cut which would work better.

As far as a clean cut decision it comes down to what I have been telling you all along. Get which everone will fit better (in case and your requirments). We will never actually know which one is a better performer unless you have the pressure differential of the quad core and black ice 3, and the dual D5's and Iwaki PQ curves. Both pumps and rad's would fit the bill. So pick which ever one you like the best and that would fit. As for the pumps both will work great so go with the D5's which would be easier to mount internally then the Iwaki and they are DC or go with the big Iwaki which might not fit and is AC powered.

MAXIMILIAN said:

Whats up! :D

aight, two d5's it is, now to go compile the rest of this shit lol.
what are good quiet yet powerful 120mm fans?

MAXIMILIAN said:
aight, two d5's it is, now to go compile the rest of this shit lol.
what are good quiet yet powerful 120mm fans?

Powerful and Quite are oxymorons...

Look at the 120mmx38mm fans as they will push more air at lower dba's. Also put them on a fan controller that way you can turn them down to whatever noise level you prefer since we all have different levels of what we think are quite fans.

lets say a fan controller has 6 knobs. If i want to controll all four of the fans on my core with one knob can i?

Also Im not sure were i posted it but with things like lights and all of the bling accesories, does it matter how many i add?

Assuming your controller can handle the wattage that the fans consume on one specific channel you can use any number of fans on a single channel

Best one to get would be a good rheobus that allows 20w per channel, that is more than enough for two Panflos/Denkis etc. but not enough for a Delta...I would personally limit your 120mm rad fans to one channel...and IMO two high CFM rated 38mm thick 120mms are enough for a bonneville

Nice to see an expert on this crap around here now sb...although your signature is too big ;)

gaara said:
Assuming your controller can handle the wattage that the fans consume on one specific channel you can use any number of fans on a single channel

Best one to get would be a good rheobus that allows 20w per channel, that is more than enough for two Panflos/Denkis etc. but not enough for a Delta...I would personally limit your 120mm rad fans to one channel

Nice to see an expert on this crap around here now sb...although your signature is too big ;)

Correct, which means about 1 to 3 120mm fans depending on specs. Or you can contact www.dragonmodz.net about a custom fan contoller for all four. They do top notch work.

What are the sig limits? Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom